New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my dad just got back from the garage and they told him the rotors I pulled off my 2001 where too small for the job. Yes they were the fronts rotors on my car going on the front of his 99. What is up with this. I think the garage just didn't feel like turning the rotors and installing them and just wanted to run his inspection up....Am I wrong on this? Let me know. And Thanks.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The lining was most likely too thin. They aren't talking about the diameter of the rotor or hub itself. By law, they cannot turn the rotors under discard. Go buy some new ones. Should run you about $25 each.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
switching from metric to standard is like switching from russian to english to me...how big is 278 mm?? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Google search it Pinhy, unit conversion ;). The rest of the world uses metric (units of 10, can't get much easier than that can it?)

Back to topic. Different size rotors are offered in the front rotors for the cougar, depending on whether or not you have a sport package or not.

Best bet is to get new ones if they are excessively worn. The mechanic should have provided you with measurements of the rotors (in thickness). This should provide you with your current spec and the minimun spec.

If you can't find your answers, do a search on it.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
Originally posted by: Pinhy
switching from metric to standard is like switching from russian to english to me...how big is 278 mm?? :shrug:
25.4 mm = 1 in
therefore
278 mm = 10.9 in

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
ps its better to buy new rotors than have them turned anyway...the thinner the rotor, the less heat it absorbs and the hotter it becomes...In Europe one would be hurting to find a brake lathe as they very rarely turn them, they just live with the squealing noise or buy new ones...

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I got home from swapping my old ones with my news they were in the trash and he pulled them out to put em on his car...tried to tell him that it was better to just buy the news. And now that it was said it was properly how much "meat" was left on the rotors. Thanks guys....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts