New Cougar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
Yeah the SVT Contour Facebook marketplace page is pretty active. Their club page is a total nightmare drama ****-show though; stay away from that one.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I would certainly not say that a Quaife is a "starting point" by any stretch of the imagination...
lmao it should be first mod on any car bennett. danm you do everything so backwards:rofl:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok guys. Replaced my brakes this week and my car will die if I stop too hard, my clutch has a sound like it's grinding a wire or line and the windshield wipers won't stop. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
search 'multiple wiring diagrams' on the forums here, click the link, flip it to TSBs, input your year make and model, and find the safety recall under the 'fuel' category.

Ford Fuel sending units of these years generally sucked. the Focus had a recall over it too; they'll lean out over time and eventually stop the car from running altogether. there was a recall done to change the FSU to a new, improved design. the recall ended in 2014.

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
OK, the clutch is hydraulic - there are no "wires". That's a weird one, and I don't know what to tell you about that.

The engine dying when you brake is often because the idle air control is dirty or obstructed and can't supply the engine with air quickly enough when the RPMs drop suddenly.

My engine used to die when I stopped quickly, but that was right after I installed the aluminum flywheel, so it was not used to the revs falling so fast. It eventually learned to compensate.

The wipers are black magic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
OK, the clutch is hydraulic - there are no "wires". That's a weird one, and I don't know what to tell you about that.

The engine dying when you brake is often because the idle air control is dirty or obstructed and can't supply the engine with air quickly enough when the RPMs drop suddenly.

My engine used to die when I stopped quickly, but that was right after I installed the aluminum flywheel, so it was not used to the revs falling so fast. It eventually learned to compensate.

The wipers are black magic.
What'd you mean it eventually learned to compensate?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
What'd you mean it eventually learned to compensate?
IACV is controlled by the ECU, which is a tiny, tiny engineer in a box making calculations over and over. Over time he adjusts to the new, lighter flywheel, or more specifically to the effects it'll have on decel. It adapts the fuel-air mix in all sorts of situations.

Sent from my LG-D852G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Isn't fast cougar dead?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I think the link originally went to the 3L performance section, not to the short throw shifter thing. That thread is in the how to section i think.

Fastcougar, the website, migrated to here like fifteen years ago from what I understand. However Fastcougar the user is still in good spirits and very much alive AFAIK.. That's what i thought you were originally asking.

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
The answer is - whatever you can find and justify the expense for.

It's not like there is a whole section on Jeg's full of aftermarket options for this stupid car.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts