New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have just been referred to the bard by Bill Jenkins, and have a question... in a few parts.

I have done some mods to my 99 Merc Cougar, 2.5 v6. It now has an AEM short-ram Air intake, a custom Cat-converter by Random Technology, and a dual pipe exhaust by Remus.
At high revs, she does very well, but at low revs and when I put my foot down from an idle, she chokes... like its too much air for her to handle.

Can anybody give me a few options? Mass air flow upgrade? If so, to what?
Thanks in advance.
Brian

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
chokes like how, not running properly? or just no power?

first thought i had was spark plugs. Check all the couplings on the intake, make sure yr not letting unmetered air in.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
What size exhaust system you runnin???

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
5speed or automatic?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Neil,
She chokes like... well I guess you can hear the AEM sucking a lot of air for a brief second and then it comes to an abrupt stop... as if someone put their hand over the intake. ( That is when I am at rest and put my foot down). When I am moving she only likes to accelerate slowly. If I try to get her to race ahead, she almost 'hiccups'. You can feel the gaps in acceleration.
Brian

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Many would argue 3" piping is too large for a cat-back. I wouldnt be able to explain how exactly 3" piping would contribute to your symptoms or even if its the cause.

I wonder if your IMRC is closing. Does it feel fine for a while, and then when you get on it once itll accelerate and suddenly be a dog past 3500rpm till you shut the car off and try again?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No. exactly the opposite. She chokes low and purrs at high revs. I just replaced the IMRC.
It feels like she isn't getting enough gas or something. Maybe too much air now. How can I retune the CPU to add more fuel... without paying $80/hr to a Ford dealership?!?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
ever replaced your fuel filter? :shrug:

I wish i could be more help... i could think of a bunch of things that would contribute to top end loss, not randomized low end loss.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
yeah sounds like your MAF is not liking the airflow.

you may have a vacume leak. check all your connections to make sure they are tight. make sure your iat & maf sensors are plugged in.

make sure all the vaccume lines ontop the upper intake manifold are intact.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All the MAF sensors are plugged in and there appear to be no leaks. IAT?? Please define.
If it is the MAF, what can I replace it with to work properly?

·
Registered
91 Posts
3" is too large for any N/A 4banger......for a turbo 4 banger it's much different.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Seems to be fuel starvation, but it kinda doesn't make sense if you get good power top end. Replace your fuel filter, its around $10 at a autoparts store. That should help some, especially if your car has never had it replaced.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree about the fuel starvation, but there's plenty of air: AEM Short Ram intake.
I am leaning towards a 'more fuel (liquid)' solution. But how do I do that? CPU? MAF?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts