New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, in the last couple of days, my car started stalling almost every time i have to brake hard. i read alot about stalling probs on this forum but am not much of a car guy. My acceleration seems unaffected and it runs good (or at least that's what people tell me). It is a little jumpy at times (i think that might be my driving) so i'm at a loss for a definitive answer. I'd like to take it to the Ford dealership but i'd also like to sound like i know what the heck i'm talking about. Therefore, i need help with some of the terms (acronyms, i think) used in some of the responses i read.
TPS
IACV
MAF
DPFE (CEL)
IMRC
i know it can also be the alternator, vacuum leaks, throttle plate and hopefully not the fuel pump. Lastly, what can I expect to pay for them to simply tell me what the problem is and which of these repairs is it worthwhile for them to do as opposed to me taking it somewhere else and telling them what the problem is? P.S. if anyone thinks it is the IACV, how hard or easy is that to replace?
Thanx for any help

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Idle air control valve takes 15 min to replace. All you need is a ratchet with (i think 10 mm) socket. You need a small ratchet though cause a big one wont fit. Does it idle smoothly when you are just sitting there? Or is it only when you are braking that it stalls? If it studders when its just sitting there idleing i would replace the IACV first.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
TPS-Throttle Position Sensor

IACV-Idle Air Control Valve

MAF-Mass Air Flow

DPFE- Hmmm Not sure....

IMRC-Intake Manifold Runner Control

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for the help guys. Sloemoe, ive never really let it idle for extended periods of time however it seems to idle fine. It does fluctuate a bit (while idling), but never stalls. it fluctuates by probably a couple hundred rpm's.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Differential Pressure Feedback Egr sensor. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts