New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can i find one of these and about how much do they cost?.. the car is a 5 speed.

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Any Cougar, Mystique or Contour V6 diff will work. The ones from pre-98 Contours and Mystiques were stronger than ours due to a different manufacturing style, but they all have a fair amount of miles on them by now. They often pop up for sale on the Contour forum (Ford Contour Enthusiasts Group) when people upgrade to Ford Racing diffs.

Tousley Ford (do a search) has a great price on the Ford Racing differential for the MTX-75, which is a direct replacement; I think it's a little less than $600. A good choice, as it takes METRIC TONS of punishment to ever break one of those.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would it be possible for an amateur to do this type of change?..or do you think pro only?

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
I did it. I'm far from a pro, but I've been doing this shadetree stuff for a while.

Ice992 posted a series of videos from YouTube with a guy doing a how-to for installing a new diff on an SVT Focus transaxle, which is very similar to our own. Watch those videos and see how you feel about it.

Personally, I thought the hardest part of the job was getting the transaxle out of the car. The diff replacement was easy :rofl:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts