New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandmothers 1994 Chevy Lumina 2dr 3.1L 43,*** miles just recently had a fuel pump changed out by Pep Boys. Apparently the car died on her about a block from the Pep Boys and the tow company thru her insurance had to tow her w/in 5 miles so that's where she ended-up. They diagnosed it as a bad pump and replaced it and the fuel filter, however now when the car's cold it takes a good 10 seconds of cranking to start the car (never had this prob before, ran perfect). My bud and I checked the fuel pressure on the rail and it is a steady 35lbs and peaks at about 42lbs during initial start-up for a milli sec and during heavy acceleration/revving of the motor peaks about 40lbs or so. My bud thinks that the fuel pump isn't kicking on right away, it almost sounds like it starts to pump during the cranking. Also, the fuel lines coming off the tank don't look like they are bent all the way back up where they should be. Myself and my bud normally do all the maintnance and repairs on her car, but this time fate took it's turn. I'm bringing it back into them in a week or so to see if it's a bad pump or if they messed something up, but I'm looking for any helpful input that you guys and gals might have.

Thanks!
Lyle

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Was the filter installed in the right direction? Sounds like the fuel isn't being kept in the lines, and when you're cranking the car, you're also priming the system. Try putting the key in the 'ON' position, listen for the fuel pump for a few seconds, and then try to start the car.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Friend has a 94 also, and had the same problem. Granted, his is a 50 dollar beater for the winter, because camaros don't handle snow. We replaced the fuel filter and that did something (140,00 miles) but with this issue we just went to the gas station and bought that Fuel Injection cleaner. Couldn't hurt anything so we loaded it up and the car's running fine. Although our fix probably isn't the right one, this is a VERY common problem with the Lumina. I'd try researching online or just asking a Chevy dealership.

If it's any idea how big of a piece of **** this car is, you can start it without a key, just turn it. Also, it dog tracks like you wouldn't believe, you have to drive it sesame street style to not fishtail going straight. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys, yeah, we thought of the fuel filter thing, but the pump doesn't seem to turn on right away, we did the key on thing w/out starting it (however neither me or my friend bothered to stick our heads underneath and look at the fuel filter, the genious's (sp?) that we are :) ). As for fuel injector cleaner, I put a bottle in every oil change. The mystery continues!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by: FastCougar
The electrical connection to the pump may be faulty. Test with a multimeter and let us know what you find.

Hmmm. . . Hadn't thought of that one! I'll have to check and see. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I didn't get a chance to do any further diagnosis on the car (working the overnight shift and my grandmother like 30 min away doesn't help), however it was brought back to Pep Boys and it ended-up being a bad fuel pump, which was replaced under warranty, and they found 2 bad fuel injectors which were replaced for a decent price. Thanks for all your suggestions and replys to my prob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts