New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You know how they say that if you buy an exotic pet, you might as well buy two, so they keep each other company?

Yeah. a friend of a friend was getting rid of his (only slightly ratty!) '93 Probe GT. KL-DE V6, 5-speed, 221,000km. all black, of course. I just got my hands on it yesterday, and so far I know it needs quite a bit of TLC; but there's little to no rust, at least. big issues right now are :
  1. it's on 'weathermaxx' tires from walmart
  2. it's DIRTY. *scream*
  3. it feels a little loose, I'm guessing regular maintenance hasn't been done (tie rods, bushings, etc)
  4. the borla exhaust and headers are way, way, WAY too loud for a Québec town. I'm going to get minced by the local PD in a heartbeat.
  5. the rear end has fading, cracking paint - I'm guessing a re-spray over a rear-end accident or something.
but otherwise, the thing is like driving an F-16 mixed with a fishbowl mixed with a park bench. it's terrific. with the headers and blah-blah, it must be making more power than my old V6, but it's less of everything. I Giggled like a schoolgirl on the drive home, yesterday.

I just thought I'd start a thread here - these cars are kindred spirits, after all. and so far, I haven't found a forum as active as ours. MX6.com seems my best best; Probetalk is now gone it seems.

Anyway.. tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. has anyone here owned one of those before? how did you like it?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
If your going to make a bad decision about taking on another project, thats as a good as any.:hmmm: Approved.
If its really in good shape rust-wise, than everything else should be just as easy to deal with as our cars I would think - maybe harder to find parts, but should still be doable.
I always thought the Probe held a slightly unique position in auto history. The styling was striking at the time, even though it hasnt aged as well as our cars. I'm sure Probe owners share many of the same annoyances that we do in how people dismiss or disrespect their cars.

Congrats on the new baby.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
KL's are the only v6 i like the sound more than the Duratec.

The g series gearboxes are garbage, dont be too hard on it...

I remember there is a f ton of vaccum hose on that engine, id watch for dry rot.

·
So its begun.....
16,835 Posts
It is the pre-cursor to the cougar.....:ty:
And Wadespencer99 loved his.

·
Administrator
15,432 Posts
It is the pre-cursor to the cougar.....:ty:
And Wadespencer99 loved his.

I sure did. I had an 89 GT, which was the first generation body style with a turbocharged 4cyl; then a 93 GT I bought totaled and rebuilt. I'll scan some pictures in for you when I get a chance. I had so much fun in that car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts