New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to applaud Ford on this one... Finally replaced my brakes and changed my rotors. These were originals, I ended up getting 71,000 miles on them. I had wear sensors on 3 wheels - the front passenger side did not, and that was the wheel that started making horrible screaching sounds about 2 weeks before I changed them (pads and rotors had already been ordered at this point). All the pads still had some wear left to them - 1/8" to 1/4" on all except the inside pad on that front passenger side which was completely gone. There's really not much of a difference in stopping except for no horrible screaching. Almost got new Ford rotors and pads (not Motorcraft, which according to the Latham Ford parts department is Ford's "value line") but decided to go with less expensive ones.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
bah, 20, 36, 55 and 65k here and the fronts were replaced... the rears got replaced at 55k and
again at 57k(sat 8 months.. ruined pads... whoops)

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
The worst part about it... it was only the inside passenger side pad that needed to be replaced - since it was starting to grind the rotor. The other three front pads still had some life in it and the rears were decent. Oh well, new rotors and pads all around.

The kicker about it was her break wear sensor enver went off. On replacement, we found that the driver's side front and the rears all had wear sensors on them, but not the passenger side front.... Stupid Ford...

-Nick

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Generally speaking, sport-package Cougars with 4-wheel disc brakes wear out the front passenger side inside pad faster than the rest. After looking at the caliper mounting bracket on a couple of cars, the front passenger side bracket seems to be slightly 'warped'. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. My brakes lasted me until about 50k miles, then I had to replace them due to the front passenger inside pad being worn down and grinding. Same thing when I replaced recently at 80k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by: Bexcat
Wow! how'd the rotors come off? Probably in a few pieces........
nope, if I had gone and purchased new pads and replaced them about 2 weeks earlier, I could have gone with not even replacing the rotors. they were pretty much fine except for that one inside one that had been grinding, and a bit of flaking of rust due to it being housed mostly outside probably since it was manufactured in October 98...

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
64k plus all stock not one problem. I have been complimented on how good the brakes are on my car, maybe its because of all of the california stops.

[GnuLoCo

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got 53k on mine and just had the brakes checked. I was told there's about 50 to 75 percent of the pad left. was told the brakes look hardly worn at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts