New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought one W7, and getting three more, with fiberglass trunk, and was wondering if i would need a plyacglass window on my hatch.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
i think that all depends on the setup of the subs and such becuase it will only crack glass if setup right to high a high enough DB level....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Ditch the W7's and get the 18" SoloX and maybe you too can hit a 171.1 :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Its quite hard to bust out windows, but if you do, take photo's and a video camera.
Many see it as impossible to bust out windows with sub bass at minor competition levels.
4 W7's could create some serious pressure....and frequencies must be at levels suitable to shatter glass.....but the car leaks enough air as to vent the pressure enough......
Or are you actually wanting to create an SPL comp vehicle?

****- this subject is highly controversial and opinionated.

Im going to leave it at that and let the other audio sharks tear into it.

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the amps im going to use is either two JL 1000/1 or Two Kenwood Excelons 1600 watts, either is my choice i might go with JL 1000 watts rms.

Also i dont really know any cougar that has busted there window so i would think that would be badass. :bowdown:

·
Registered
884 Posts
if your gonna get a new window, turn the bass up and video tape busting the old one. Would make one sweet vid.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well right now i have 4 MMat comp series 15's in a custom fiberglass box that now engulfs the trunk, 4500 watts all together with 4 Class D amps. Ive only had my levels up to half way and about to volume 3 on the radio, lol car sounds like a group of tin cans dragging behind a married couples limo. However i can vibrate the crap out of a 100 foot awning, and vibrate the windows on the third floor here at the barracks. my poor little back windshield wiper takes a beating but keeps on wiping lol. im scared to go any higher than half with "Whistle While You Twirp" playing.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
off topic...
kornbread i would love to see some pics of that setup please post..or do you have a car/sound domain page??

·
Registered
378 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
I don't think you would do any damage with those amps.

Mike
Definatly not with those amps on those subs. The W7 needs like 3000watts each to reach half its potential. These subs were made to take all the power you can give em. But be careful JL will only warrenty them to 3000watts but they can take much more.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As it stands right now i dont have a web page for my car yet, however im trying to get my friends digital camera. So hopefully ill have some digies to present my setup. Its pretty sweet. But weight is my major issue on the rear wheels.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
there is no way you will break your window
'nuff said :)
now if you sealed off your entire hatch area and fiberglassed the entire thing in so just the window was not fiberglassed over and you had some beefier amps
then, it *might* be possible
but i think you'd pretty much have to be trying to blow the window out
but anyway.. what i wanna say is that energy takes the path of least resistance ALWAYS
so it will go all around in your car and out of your car with leaks way before it would break your window

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Originally posted by: RichieRich1023
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
I don't think you would do any damage with those amps.

Mike
Definatly not with those amps on those subs. The W7 needs like 3000watts each to reach half its potential. These subs were made to take all the power you can give em. But be careful JL will only warrenty them to 3000watts but they can take much more.

ummmmm.....sorry but aren't they only rated at 1000 watts rms? And maybe warrantied up to 1500? 3000 watts daily driving, WILL kill your W7

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
if Darron hasn't blown out his hatch glass with his 34 inch Audiobahn sub in the spare wheel well then I am willing to say that this myth is busted..

D

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: KoRnBrEaDsCoUg
Well right now i have 4 MMat comp series 15's in a custom fiberglass box that now engulfs the trunk, 4500 watts all together with 4 Class D amps. Ive only had my levels up to half way and about to volume 3 on the radio, lol car sounds like a group of tin cans dragging behind a married couples limo. However i can vibrate the crap out of a 100 foot awning, and vibrate the windows on the third floor here at the barracks. my poor little back windshield wiper takes a beating but keeps on wiping lol. im scared to go any higher than half with "Whistle While You Twirp" playing.
You mentioned Barracks where are you stationed. If you are in the Fort Hood area or the Fort Sill Area Maybe we could compare the systems I also have your setup but with a different brand. If you are in the Fort Hood area the freedom Furniture can get you a SPL reading.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i did a pt cruiser with 4 13w7s and 8 jl 1000/1s with no forseeable issues with breaking glass. based on my w7 experience(was the first to use them in SQ competition) you wont have to worry about breaking your rear window, but you might need to worry about your rear ride height. if you build or buy a box that is approved for those subs, your back end is gonna be on the ground. 2 1000/1s are a little low for power on those subs but its should do great for everyday use. enjoy.
josh

1 - 20 of 23 Posts