New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
The reason why you don't see the full exhaust stroke is because the camera can only fram so many images at a give resolution. also the end of the exhaust event it's very exciting. That and the stuff they were imaging through a endoscope was the important stuff the injection compression and combustion.

This is exactly the kind of work I do at GM.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great video, especialy for those who are not mechanicaly inclined.
gotta show this to my fiance :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, Jason. I found it interesting how you can see the spark a "long" time before the explosion - I guess that is how fast the film is! Also, do I remember right that orange flame is inefficient - like the mixture isn't optimal or the airflow is interfered with by the structure of the head?

feel free to "flame" me, too - lol

--george

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
You typically get an orange flame from late burning or undiluted a/f charge. About the spark before explosion that is because the engine is running homogenious mixture. You get the initial break down on the coils then the kernal grows to discharge and you get your spark, now it will hopefully last long enough(dwell) for the piston to push the charge(spark retard and advance setting goes here) into the discharge.

Now the engine I run is a highly stratified direct injection. We inject very close to TDC at extremely high presure and then ignite the fuel useually within 10 or so degrees of the beginning of the spark event. I'll try and get some of the movies I take. Some with EGR dilution and some without.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.