New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be switching door LEDs sooner. The how-to says 3mm, but I was wondering if anyone has successfullly used 5mm LEDs and would recommend them over the 3mms?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: Keliente
I'll be switching door LEDs sooner. The how-to says 3mm, but I was wondering if anyone has successfullly used 5mm LEDs and would recommend them over the 3mms?
I tried it in my doors, ended up bending too many of the components to make it look good. I guess I'd say to stick with the 3mm... all of the same colors are available, it just takes a little searching :)

... and Radio Shack CAN order 3mm LEDs in if they don't have them... one RS that I went to refused to order anything, but when I called the corporate office, I was told that they have to order anything that the catalog stocks, whether the store normally stocks it or not.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Keli I dont know bout there...but I know here there are hardly any 3mm LEDs in stock....all 5mm, you'll probably have to order'em.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have all 5mm leds in my switches. If you want to see how big they look compared to the stock, just check out the howto below on the lighted sunroof switch. I used 5mm in the example. You have to just modify the switch a tad, but they fit just fine.... The only color that is more difficult to get in 3mm is the blue, that is with a decent mcd rating. Most other colors have a pretty bright 3mm version... what color are you looking to change yours to?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I did 5mm when I did mine in blue, looks really good, just haveto mod the housing a bit.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I did 5mm also. No big deal. My blue was a little darker than I expected, but I get compliments all the time. The blue I used ended up being a deep royal blue, almost violet.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
interesting thought.......

i was thinking of doing this later... my passenger side did go out on me before i left.

G

·
very simple to do to get 5mm.

remove the "base" the original LED sat on

put new led in place

hollow out white "cap" that is the rocking portion of the switch so that the larger led will fit.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Or just get the 3mm (T1) and don't worry about modiying anything. 3mm LEDs fit just right, no extra crap to worry about.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
hey Kelly. 5mm isnt needed. I can get 3mm LEDs that kick the heck out of most 5mm LEDs. Mine are Briight.

I should be ordering several hundred of them soon if you want any let me know.

I also have a bunch of 5mm too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts