New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I am in the process of doing the "reverse hybrid" right now. I have it all off and am waiting for the JB weld to set ;) The removal went pretty smoothly, a broken bolt on the EGR and 2 broken vacuum lines on the top of the UIM. After getting both LIM's off I noticed the 3L is shorter, has a larger bore, and the secondary mechanism wolnt work. I decided to drill out the posts that hold on the 2.5's and then swap the mech's with the 3L's (See pics) Now I'm just taking a break before I have to put it all back on.....who knows if I'll have it running for racing tonight.

Before all my cleaning:

The LIM

Look at the difference in screws

UIM is off now, you can see the broken vacuum lines

Another angle

Both of the LIM's the 3L is on the left

Hmm, wonder if I can clean that, the fuel injector cleaner sure does work though

Notice my nice drilling on the LIM's

Here's my old throttle cable

You can see some of the grinding marks, hopefuly it's enough

More to come....

EDIT* ok, The lower is on and working well, I fixed the leak from the injectors, but because of the broken vacuum lines I cant drive it (no brakes).......the upper is having some problems b/c of my throttle cable, probably gonna have to get the new vaccum lines then fix the upper.....then later on get a cable and make the new upper work. I thought I could make it work but I would only get about 1/2 throttle....late for work now

Attachments

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,719 Posts
You are crazy, man! Let me know how the EGR thing goes, and what you did about the IAC valve...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, my ass was kicked pretty well today from the upper. After much thinking and not enough creativity to rig my throttle cable, I'm gonna bolt up the 2.5 Upper and wait for my cable to come in twas one slight thing I sorta overlooked.....on a good note the Lower is successfully installed and I hope to have my brakes working again soon!

Although I did not take off the 2.5L EGR tube, I believe the 3L tube would be a direct swap and make it a lot easier than making your own. I'll have confirmation as soon as I get the throttle cable figured out. On the IACV note, I grinded for a while on the UIM and the valve it's self. I then took a mill file to both to try to get them to seal back up. put some teflon tape down, then the gasket, and torqued it down good....should be sealed. I also grinded down the top raised part of the lip that sticks out (if you look at it you'll know), I stoped when I saw the other metal poking through. I'll let you know if it was enough in due time.

*Edit: Could someone please post a pic of their SVT Cable, or a 3.0 Cable, I don't wanna shell the money for something that I can't use.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
here, i just took this for you

I think the body of the cable is a little longer than stock, and the end of it looks like what they use on Bicycle brake cables... The wire coming from the end of the tube is a good 6" / 7" (edit: dont quote me on that. Its been a while since its been apart, but im pretty sure it is) long and ends in a little round metal chuck that fits into a hole at the top of the throttle lever.

Mine takes that slight right turn cuz im missing a spacer for the bracket, but it feels fine, and isnt hurting the lever or cable.

Whats the advantage to using 3.0 LIM's over later 2.5 ones?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot, I think that cable will work, I'm just trying to figure out if I need a SVT or 3L......basically the legnth of exposed cable from the housing is the issue.

As far as the advantages of the 3L UIM, LIM, and Tb, it's basically the same as SVT Upper and TB. (Just a lot cheaper) I went with the 3L LIM because I have a 99 and the it is larger. I've heard that the 00+ is the same as SVT's. I just took it for a spin and hot damn, I can tell good difference with just the LIM.....had to lock the back wheels to not hit a building (still no breaks, hopefully monday)

Which Cable do I need? Or do I need a 3.0L because I'm using the 3.0 Bracket and TB?
SVT:

THROTTLE CABLE, 2.5L, All, From 5/3/99 99-00 $53.45
THROTTLE CABLE, 2.5L, All, From 5/3/99 99-00 $48.94
THROTTLE CABLE, 2.5L, Manual Trans, w/o Traction Control 95-99 $44.34

3.0L:

THROTTLE CABLE, Sable, Taurus, 3.0L, DOHC 96-98 $92.43 (ouch)

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,719 Posts
Yeah, the end of the 3.0 throttle cable is totally different than the one for the 2.5 or SVT.

·
Registered
404 Posts
So you're driving around just using your parking brakes? Don't you think thats a little dangerous?
Hopefully this isn't your only car.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You dont think it's a good idea to just use the E-brake? hmm, I havnt had a problem

J/k, yea I'm using the loan a car ZX-2 which I use to think was quick .:rolleyes:

I just bought a 99 3.0 cable, hoping to make the 2nd attempt on it friday, or saturday (if I'm in town)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts