New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3L Turbo Build, July 20 & 21 - Days 9 & 10 (56k Should Know by now...)

At three oh-something am this morning, the 3L Turbo Project Came to life. The engine was itching to fire, and after fighting with more fitment issues with the ADC kit, I completed the install last night and she fired right up. I have one glitch with the Intake Temperature gauge- Currently, it's not reading a thing- After triple-checking my connections, I fear it may be a bad control unit, gauge, or thermocouple.

On with the pics!

<u>Yesterday (20th)</u>:

Rear Roll restrictor no-workie. Pipe is right in the way, can't bend or otherwise move the pipe. Must think up something here- Possibly fab. a new mount that offsets the restrictor. PITA. :disgust:

Bolt that holds downpipe to trans case:

Tnkgurl installing the UIM (her speciality!)

<u>21st & this morning</u>:

Hole (side by side hole saws and ground smooth:

Another mod to the kit- Cut down the draw pipe from the fender, otherwise it would have NEVER fit :disgust:

Battery relocation tie-in. Looks rough, but there's a good 3/4" of wire in the junction point.

New ground points- Fuse box and engine ground tapped to the stock battery box bolt location (copper fitting).

RFL BOV:

MAF and tube installed (Boost Controller Valve visible at right):

Viola!

Heh heh heh...

I used Tnkgurl's DVR to record the first firing of the beast- Hopefully she can upload it somewhere so that you guys & gals can see. Long term fuel trims hover around the 10% range, drop to near 0 when on the throttle. I took it out for its first tank of gas last night (93 octane of course), and on the way back leaned into the throttle just to see that boost gauge go into the "fun" zone. Sure enough, 4psi came on board, just in time for me to let off the throttle (just a little test!), the BOV voiced right up. That sound... Ah...

<u>Lessons learned</u>:

Never attempt this project yourself unless you are psychotic. It is a horrendous expense in both time, effort, and at times a complete exercise in futility. There is at least another $300 in mounting hardware, bolts, washers, nuts, connectors, elbows, etc that make this kit far from the "complete" kit it is purported to be by the manufacturer. Fitment problems abound left and right, serious modifications to almost every part of the kit (save major pieces, still don't know what I'm going to do with the downpipe). Note, however, that this was necessary for an installation to my standards (you know, the impossible self-standard). While other methods of installation doubtless exist, the "refinement" necessary for a "clean" install was nowhere to be found. That's all the job of the installer.

There is power to burn here- I have not yet begun to explore the engine's potential, nor have the secondaries ever been open. The car is currently with my exhaust fabricator - I'm getting an exhaust splice welded up to cover the 3" gap between the cat-back and the turbo downpipe with cat.

The car is still RIDICULOUSLY loud, even with the turbo in the way. Once the exhaust is in-tact, I'll explore a bit more. I will be monitoring fuel trims, temperatures, and voltages from critical systems, and a dyno for real tuning after the break-in of the clutch. I shouldn't be able to hurt this engine unless I do something inanely stupid, so I'm confident in the build thusfar and will post updates.

G

·
RE: 3L Turbo Build, July 20 & 21 - Days 9 & 10 (56k Should Know Better By Now...)

Congrats Dan! Glad to see you got everything working. Definatly an inspiration! Cant wait to see the beast at Fest.

Do you think you possibly might be running it down the 1320?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
RE: 3L Turbo Build, July 20 & 21 - Days 9 & 10 (56k Should Know Better By Now...)

Never attempt this project yourself unless you are psychotic. It is a horrendous expense in both time, effort, and at times a complete exercise in futility.
LOL this is what I said after my SC3L. Looks great Dan can't wait to see the numbers!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
RE:3L Turbo Build, July 20 & 21 - Days 9 & 10 (56k Should Know Better By Now...)

how is your ground clearance with the pipes running underneath the transmission? i was always worried about that

·
Registered
109 Posts
RE:3L Turbo Build, July 20 & 21 - Days 9 & 10 (56k Should Know Better By Now...)

So the fresh air intake goes through the floor? I though they went through the stock air location inside the fender. That dp sure is tight, did you do the right tightening sequence? Time to enjoy it now.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

They sent no tightening sequence, so I went with common sense- Inner bolt first, tightening in a circular pattern outwards, 30ft/lbs.

Air filter goes into the fender.

ADC will be getting my logs for a tweak on the program once I get the flip chip in and set to the appropriate program.

·
Ur one.....
9,912 Posts

congrats Dan! can't wait for the vid:biggrin:

Originally posted by: DanG
the BOV voiced right up. That sound... Ah...

lol......no doubt. spool followed by RFL.....it's just spoogetastic:rofl:

M

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

Originally posted by: DanG
They sent no tightening sequence, so I went with common sense- Inner bolt first, tightening in a circular pattern outwards, 30ft/lbs.

Air filter goes into the fender.

ADC will be getting my logs for a tweak on the program once I get the flip chip in and set to the appropriate program.
again.....how is the clearance with the pipes underneath the car? what are the sizies of those primary collectors?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

For dan to recoup all his money in one ride it will be $15,000 please :)

·
Premium Member
16,452 Posts

So dan, what do you think the service cost would have been if you went through a shop?
[I only ask to get a better concept of exactly how much work you went through]

·
Buyer Beware
6,590 Posts

Thats awesome Dan,

I am sure everyone is very appreciative that you posted an in progress so we could follow along in your adventure.

I have just yet to begin my 3.0, I am definilty looking forward to it. Of course i am more looking forward to seeing your beast!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Instigator- Clearance is an issue for all but the most benign speed bumps- Then again, once I put my new Visteon valance on, I'll be more worried about it than my pipes.

bensenvill- No idea. Ask ADC how much they charge for an installation. But I guarantee you it won't be as meticulous and thorough as this (judging by the hardware they sent, or lack thereof).

I figure I've at least 40 hours in the installation, but I was learning as I went, redesigning and fabricating on the fly. Then a trip to the hardware store, a 3 hour wild goose-chase for other parts, back home to find the parts don't fit, etc, etc.

Kinger- Not quite $15,000... ;)

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
5,273 Posts

Out-fricken-standing!

Can you say, "Save AS" :biggrin: man, you have given me new heights to achieve!

Thank you for sharing and the great documentation :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts

Simply amazing Dan!

Nice job

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

the blow off valve is so friggin addicting. I know the whole way up to fest i am just going to chill next to your car dan just to hear it. hehe

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.