New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my vacuum line for my brakes finally got here, so I got it installed and decided to go for a drive. The pavement was a little damp from it sprinkling earlier so I didn't wanna go to hard. I started off in 1st from a light and took it up to about 2700, then in 2nd I hit it hard, right when the secondaries opened I broke the tires loose and couldn't get traction back till 3rd gear :biggrin: I can tell a big difference already and cant wait till the pavement is totally dry. I really hope I can manage to get this UIM installed, just needing the time now.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,779 Posts
Now you know how the rest of us with SVT-spec lowers feel ALL THE TIME :tongue:

Well, without the porting 'n stuff...:stupid:

Soon, very soon...

I went to the yard Sunday - no Duratecs. This EGR and throttle cable thing may be harder than I had planned...hate to pay retail...

That's cool, though, John. I love hearing the updates - keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my UIM and TB are from a 97, but I have a 99 throttle cable....I believe it will work. There might be some small spacing issues but I think I could correct with some cutting/spacing. The cable was $25....If you need something you can't find I would probably put out a request on the net.....I think I tried used-car-parts-exchange and I got a coupple responces (I think it's free). Anyway, good luck finding your parts, I'll tell ya if my cable will work when I get it installed, same with the EGR tube.

I still need to figure something out about the intake pipe.......o well

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I still am curious how this compares to my SVT UIM, TB, and LIM. Cuz its said that they are similar somewhere, but I m still curious as what the IM's and TB's compare like..... Maybe someday I ll find out which would be the better way to go. Cuz I was thinking of selling my SVT and making some cash since I got one hella good deal on all new stuff and less then 3k miles on it, so I could make some cash overall, just more work involved......

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm finding some unexpected expenses to mine, gaskets, cables, brackets, wrench for the EGR, intake. All in all I would say to do the UIM, LIM, and TB, it's cost me maybe $250. Keep in mind it's still not fully installed. I do not know if anyone will ever get a dyno comparison because the SVT and the 3.0 are so similar I don't think to many people wanna go throught the trouble. I'm sure you already know the 3.0 TB and the SVT TB is the same, minus the linkage used to open it. If you call around to yards make sure they have these parts:

UIM
UIM Gromets (was unable to find through ford)
LIM (Optionary strongly reccomended for 99's or optimization but requires extra work to get it functioning)
TB ($120ish from ford)
TB Bracket ($150 from ford)
TB Cable ($45-95 from ford)
EGR Tube (??)
IACV (your 2.5L might work)

Hope this helps for all hopeful 3.0ers in the future.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,779 Posts
John M-

The biggest difference is in the throttle body. I had my 2.5L throttle body off, cleaning it. The ENTIRE MOUTH of the 2.5 tb fits inside the 3.0 tb. Like, the 3-liter TB DEVOURS the entire 2.5.

I believe the flow characteristics of the UIMs are pretty close to the same.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hey Bennet, are there any cougars in yuor junkyards? If so, I really need some things, and I can;t find any cougs in the yards around here. I'll make it worth your while. :)

Thanks,

Tony

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,779 Posts
Originally posted by: RigaTony00
Hey Bennet, are there any cougars in yuor junkyards? If so, I really need some things, and I can;t find any cougs in the yards around here. I'll make it worth your while. :)

Thanks,

Tony

'Fraid not, Tony. At least, not yet. The "inventory" is always changing, but there are little to no cars newer than 97 or 98 unless they are hit so hard they are un-useable in any way whatsoever. Now sometimes I do see a Contour or Mystique, so mechanical and suspension parts can be found occasionally (if you need anything like that).

I figure eventually some newer cars, and hopefully some Cougars, may show up. Always keeping an eye out. I go about every 2 weeks or so, just to see what's new.

My 3L stuff came off a 96 Taurus, which was probably the first 3L Duratec ever made...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Well, what I need is the radiator splash shield, and the button cluster that has the defrost button on it. But I haven't had any luck with cougars up here either. If I find one, I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
J-Red, glad to see your instals are working out. Keep me informed as well. I am very interested in this due to the issues I have encountered with the 3L car I worked on.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts