New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked around, but maybe I missed it.

No one has ever mentioned a 3L in a cougar with an auto tranny. I am assuming its possible and probably requires less modifications because the cars that have the 3L's are all autos correct?( Contour and Escape) Therefore, no alterteration of the crank snub ( i think thats right) would be needed to make it fit? Just a general question if anyone has answered this before please direct me to the link.

Tony

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
With the exception of some mounts and intake design issues, an Escape/Tribute 3.0/CD4E(2wd) swap is about as close as you get to a straight 3.0L transplant. ECU should swap right in. The reason why you can't really do a hybrid correctly is because the SVT ECU will not work the the CD4E (to my knowledge). If you currently have a CD4E, then a 2001+ 3.0L will drop right in. Run a search on CEG ... been done!

G

·
if you could get the info from the svt and have ford flash some of that information on to the atx ecu...wouldnt that work? or have someone make a chip with the information and to firm up the shifts. two birds...one stone...DEAD.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Why even consider running the SVT ECU?
Just get a GOOD custom burned program for a chip.

Problem solved.

G

·
you can indeed do a 3L atx swap, i know because i did just that.

i got an 01 cougar CD4E, high stall torque convertor, sonnax pistons, shiftkit, cooler and filter

you dont need the tranny mods to do it though.

im using a 99 3L block

btw i got a 97 contour

also, you cannot use the svt ecu with an atx

feel free to pm me with any questions

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Wise, sure. But way more costly. And a pain in the ass. Let's not forget the PATS change when you swap out the ECU for an MTX ECU, or you'll have to do some fancy rewiring/cutting like exigent did.

G

·
i got around 1200 in the tranny for everything, including the transmission with low miles (2K) and shipping

the whole project started because i needed a new transmission

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
the whole project started because i needed a new transmission
Mine started because my stock clutch began to slip under hard shifts.
I figured the tranmission was not going to go back into the car, unless it was
bolted up to something faster.

:cool:

·
Registered
230 Posts
What would be the estimated cost just to drop in a 99+ 3L into an ATX?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Originally posted by: SamuraiCougar
What would be the estimated cost just to drop in a 99+ 3L into an ATX?

I have been wondering this as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yea since it supposedly bolts right in the labor couldn't be to much, also I could just sell my 2.5L to recover some of the cost. I'm really considering doing this!

·
Registered
230 Posts
well i'm a newbie to engine swaps. I just want to know what you other 3.0L guys paid or had to do yourselves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts