New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i want to put 3 12" subs in the trunk will it matter that i have 3 sharing one box(and obviously airspace) with two on the "front" of the box facing the rear of the car and one on the "top" of the box facing the parcel shelf(not sure if you guy's call it the same) rear window area?? will this cause and problems all three will have there own (matched) amp and all three subs are the same??:)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
put them in there own box, in one big box, and it shouldnt matter, i wouldnt think, if so, then mayb design da box diff and do sumtin with the subs on reverb:) that always looks kool

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the way im having them there is not enough room to have each in there own box inside of another box as i dont want to take up the whole trunk i want to keep an area to display amps etc at the rear of the trunk b'cause i have a funky idea i want to try out!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
DO NOT HAVE A SUB FACING STRAIGHT UP!!! if those things have ANY power at all, that one facing the shelf will rattle it all to hell and will be the most annoying thing ever and you'll end up building another box. i tried that with one of my 10"s, good thing it was in a single box and i just laid it down after hearing that for 10 seconds.

but with the layout...
i would suggest having the box tight against your backseats and face all three to the back if possible. facing them to the back supposedly gives you the "loudest" output when sitting inside the car, i believe thats true.

and if you have all 3 in one box, put some sort of supports on the inside of the box inbetween each sub, not necessarily a partition or totally closed off, but otherwise that box will flex like a son of biotch.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by: VHull03
DO NOT HAVE A SUB FACING STRAIGHT UP!!! if those things have ANY power at all, that one facing the shelf will rattle it all to hell and will be the most annoying thing ever and you'll end up building another box. i tried that with one of my 10"s, good thing it was in a single box and i just laid it down after hearing that for 10 seconds.

but with the layout...
i would suggest having the box tight against your backseats and face all three to the back if possible. facing them to the back supposedly gives you the "loudest" output when sitting inside the car, i believe thats true.

and if you have all 3 in one box, put some sort of supports on the inside of the box inbetween each sub, not necessarily a partition or totally closed off, but otherwise that box will flex like a son of biotch.
Why not just take out that shelf. Its annoying anyway.:confused:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Do a similar enclosure like CATerina's, 3 12"s in 1 enclosure...BUT build the enclosure to sit verticle in the trunk. Actually at an angle instead of having them straight across. There are many ways to build an enclosure, none are better than any other type if airspace is correctly provided.
Im not sure as to how many different systems you have done, but in general, aiming the subs takes some practice, try a single box with one 12" and experiment with different locations, directions, and angles to get the best bass response. Then 2 subs, then finally 3.
Just building an enclosure and throwing it in the trunk isnt the best way to go about getting good sound.
But what is good sound?
It all depends on the listener.
Just take your time with it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to be honest i have had 2 12" subs firing up and firing forward and i couldnt tell much difference to be truthful i was just worried that with one firing "down" into the box and two firing "from the front" of the box that it might affect the way the subs work the subs need 1.5 cubic feet of airspace so i will make sure my box is the right size for the subs

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm probably offbase here but I remember something about having all the subs on the same plane...wouldn't his arrangement be two different planes?

EDIT and yeh remove the parcel shelf anyway, it lets the cabin be more open to the hatch and it sound better and hits harder, at least for me anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts