New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal, I currently have 2 JL 10W3's, I am looking to have a custom FG enclosure built for the subs and amps, but would it be better to add another 10 or just ditch it all and go with the 2 12W3's, I will have a big tank and a couple of compressors in the back so space is kind of an issue....Or could 3 10"s be installed in the tire well?? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
The 3 10's would sound great, but be warned there is VERY limited airspace back there, and those subs need about 1.5cuft each. (There is only a total of about 4.75-5.00cufu total in the back of the Cougar, with the ST200 RSTB installed.)

E1

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok I dont have that strut bar so I should be good for a little extra space, my 2 10's dont take up that much room and I can always have the rear seats taken out...

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Have any pics of the existing box? You might wanna check on JL's site to get the airspace requirements of the speakers, and also the proper box design info. Without the ST200 RSTB you'll have much more room in the back, and can even flow into the rear-seat area if needed...

E1

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
you can get a lot of air space depending on how you use it..

I have 2 sub boxes in my car for my two L7's and they are getting almost 2 cu. a piece and they are just in the corners...

I am 100% positive it could be done in a cougar trunk after spending the last 6 months of my life building mine...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Any reason you are definately sticking with JL? Just wondering. You can get cheaper and sound just as good.

I am getting 7 cubes for my 18 out of the hatch.......

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ummmm cause I have been using my 2 JL's for about 2 years now and I still like the sound of them, and I only need one more 10 as opposed to buying all new speakers, and if JL doesnt sound good as you say they dont, I would have a pretty hard time selling the existing ones I have, dont ya think??????

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Originally posted by: EternalOne
The 3 10's would sound great, but be warned there is VERY limited airspace back there, and those subs need about 1.5cuft each. (There is only a total of about 4.75-5.00cufu total in the back of the Cougar, with the ST200 RSTB installed.)

E1
wouldnt you technically have the whole car to use as airspace? there is only that thin removable hatch cover separating the car that bounces with the bass anyways heh

Its not like a sedan where the seats are sealing the trunk off or a solid wall like in older cars. If you are just talking about the size limitations to the enclosures then i get it :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
oh yeah.. i have seen 3 12's in the spare tire well but it was just a pic and it could have sounded like crap. It depends on the subs, some like my eclipse only need .5 cubic feet in a sealed enclosure. From what E1 said, those subs need lots of air

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea it is the size limitations, I will have a bunch of stuff in my trunk and I cant take up that much room....

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
CougarBalla, Stop being a cheapass, I am sick of seeing you post about "I would rather buy something cheap rather than something good"

JL happens to be agreat quality sub. No one wants to hear about whats Cheaper or Sounds Better.

Case and point, Back on topic!

I believe another 10 would round off your system quite nicely. I was impressed when I heard it the first time to say the least. A nicely triple 10 box could be fabbed and you should still have room for your amps and even the air compressors. But you might have to remove the rear seats...:shrug:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea he diefinately is not one of the nicest people I have talked to on here.....But yea I think another 10 is key

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
GMK you so silly.....

I NEVER said JL doesn't sound good, they sound great, alls I'm saying is there are a few internet companies that sound just as good as JL but are cheaper. Obviously would be the best option IF you went for the 2 12s, if you do the 3 10s of course stay JL..

I'd like you to show me where I EVER said I'd rather buy something cheap rather than something good Kenny? Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm trying to help MeanKat out, even though I know he hates my guts, sue me for caring.

{edit} you may be able to fit two 12s, MAYBE three 10s across the rear hatch cover area...could try that in a fiberglass setup. Or have the amps there to save space in the hatch.
{edit2} FYI GMK, You missunderstood my post on that lightbulb thread. I never told that guy to get the cheap lights from ebay. I told him not to upgrade at all. I wish I hadn't.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahhh I dont hate your guts, I just feel your choice of words sometimes are not the best given different situations...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yeh I know, I get really worked up over the internet.....because I find it hard to say what I mean -_-. I never mean anything I say in a down talking or rude way.....I just come off that way...sorry.

On da ToPik

Spend even more money, ditch the 10s and get two JL 8W7s and do them fiberglass on the rear hatch cover O_O. orrrrr hey just a thought.....if you get another 10 you will need a new amp right? But if you just upgrade to 12s you can keep the amp you have right? So it might be more ecconomical to just get the 2 12s I'd think.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I am not too keen on the 8's I am going for show points as well as sound, a fg box is for sure, and with the amp I have right now there is no way I can power 2 12's I am just running a RF 400s....So I am nopt even pushing the power I could tro my subs I have no, so either way I will need a new amp...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Show points hmm? Are the show points only based on looks or sound as well?

If you are going for show points, do 3 10s with the one in the middle being inverted to show the magnet.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea I was thinking something like that as well, looks andf sound is what I am going for....Unfortunately the W3's dont have the best looking bottoms around.....

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
How much can you get for the W3 if you sell them?

The resonant engineering SE 10s are $149 + shipping each and are very nice subs, they *may* not sound as good as the JLs but I'm pretty sure they will hit harder. They have VERY sweet looking magents (imo)

once again sorry for pushing RE guys, I just like them :(.

www.respl. click products then subs then SE to see a pic of them!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
maybe 4 if I sell them with the box or 3 I dunno, they are 2 years old and have no damage to them at all

1 - 20 of 85 Posts