New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm deep into a conversion project and I need some help and/or advice. I hired Renegade Hybrids in Las Vegas to swap a 2000 Taurus Duratec 3.0L engine into a 1971 Porsche 914. They also installed a Whipple twin-screw supercharger. The transmission is the standard 914 box with an adaptor from Kennedy Engineering and upgraded clutch package from Renegade. We had the computer zapped by Chris Johnson at www.jmschip.com to wipe out the PATS-II system so the anti-theft won't shut down the car.

The big problem is that the mechanic at Renegade cannot get the engine to run and he has run out of ideas. The car is now in Las Vegas, although I can ship it to SoCal or NoCal (where I live). Can anyone recommend a mechanic who really knows the Ford Taurus electrical system inside and out? Everything on the car is finished but we just can't get the damn thing to fire up. Every possible sensor has been installed, including having the fuel pump grafted into the Porsche 914 gas tank. But the car still won't run. My guess is that someone who knows what they are doing can get the car running in less than a weekend, or maybe in an hour or two. But I don't know who to hire. Any ideas??

Help!!! [email protected]

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'd recomment contacting Terry Haines. Terry Haines runs HMS Inc. and was one of the Ford engineers that brought the CDW-27 (Mondeo/Contour/Cougar) to market and is the most knowledgeable person we have access to when it comes to anything dealing with Duratec V6s. He can be found at the FordContour.org internet forums. While your there check out the photographs of the original Porsche designed Duratec engine in HMS's image gallery. If Terry can't help you out, I don't know who can. HMS Inc. operates out of Rockford Michigan. I know of people as far away as Texas that had him work on their cars. HMS telephone number is 616-874-1148.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Some info on exactly what the engine is doing would help.

Do you get fuel from the injectors?
Spark?
what exactly is going on... and we may be able to help

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
I personally have to question if PATS was truely disabled in the reflash. If everything else has been attempted to ensure spark and fuel delivery and you still get nothing, I would suspect PATS. Others here could tell you more about how PATS operates, but my understanding is that the ECU doesn't allow voltage to the starter. Anyone else care to comment on PATS ... I know that PuckPuck has some knowledge of this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip on Terry Haines. I will try calling him on Wednesday to see if he has any ideas. The computer was flashed by Chris Johson at JMSChip.com. He also owns a Taurus and he told me that his car started after he swapped out the computer with the one he flashed for me.

Since I am supervising this project from a distance, I can't tell if the computer is wrong or if there is something missing from the wiring harness/electronics. Mike Johnson at Renegade Hybrids has been working on this thing for quite a while, but the Ford system has proved to be a total nightmare for him. I joined this forum to see if anyone can help him solve this.

I will ask Mike to join this forum so you can hear from him exactly what the car is doing.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Neosonik,

I'm sure Terry can help you out. Perhaps Chris or Mike Johnson should talk to Terry as well. I'd love to see that 914 when its done! Please keep up posted on your progress. Trevor is probably right about the PATS.

JScullin,

A Duratec 914 would rock! I have a friend with 914/4s with a 2.0 litre flat-four GA engine putting out a very respectable 100hp (this car is from the early 70's). As fast as an Cougar with an ATX probably. ;)Later they made 914/6 with a 2.0L flat-six came out with something like 125hp or 130hp. (And there was an ultra-rare 914/8 with 300hp.) Unlike our friend Marty of MSDS, I don't think most people can go out an get a twin-turbo Porsche flat-six to swap into their little 914s. The Duratec is cheap, effective and has Porsche genes to boot. 200hp/200lbs-ft and a bit over 2000lbs perhaps? The 914 with a 3 litre will go like a bat out of hell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.