New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i understand that its the svt heads and the 3.0 engine but what kind of performance are you looking at when you add those 2 together? I read the forum where you can go and buy jaguar engines and ford escapes and like tha mazda 6 egine...but i can imagine they would be more pircey than the taraus engine. but how does this svt hybrid match up to those engines?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarKid16
Ok i understand that its the svt heads and the 3.0 engine but what kind of performance are you looking at when you add those 2 together? I read the forum where you can go and buy jaguar engines and ford escapes and like tha mazda 6 egine...but i can imagine they would be more pircey than the taraus engine. but how does this svt hybrid match up to those engines?
There is no simple answer.
It could be gains of 30-100 hp.
It all depends on how well you build the engine, what cams you are running, what intake track, valves, PnP, etc etc etc.

Too many variables to give an answer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i kinda figured there would be more than just a simple numerical horespower value. but i mean how much would it really cost for some1 to buy a jaugar type s engine or a lincoln ls motor? arent they pretty exspensive?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
yeah i kinda figured there would be more than just a simple numerical horespower value. but i mean how much would it really cost for some1 to buy a jaugar type s engine or a lincoln ls motor? arent they pretty exspensive?
Yes they are very expensive.
A well build hybrid is not cheap either.

I have around $6000 put into mine, and that is not including all the bolt on's I had before I performed the swap.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
do your research. :lock:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
If YOU are capable. KEY WORDS!!!

You can build an excellent 3L for around $1200.

~~~

To the person that has already spent $6000 on one. What in the holy F*CK cost so much!!! :disgust:

You do know you can get a complete turbo kit (installed even) for less than that right. It also makes about 50% more HP and 60% more TQ.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: DemonSVT
If YOU are capable. KEY WORDS!!!

You can build an excellent 3L for around $1200.

~~~

To the person that has already spent $6000 on one. What in the holy F*CK cost so much!!! :disgust:

You do know you can get a complete turbo kit (installed even) for less than that right. It also makes about 50% more HP and 60% more TQ.
3.0L Engine - 700
2.5L SVT Heads/Cams - 400
PnP/3L Valve Install - 1200
Gaskets - 250
LSD + Install + Shipping - 1100
19lb NEW Injectors - 150
SF Chip - 450
Clutch/Flywheel - 700
Other Misc - 300

That puts me right at the $6000 mark. There are many other costs associated with an engine swap other than just a 3.0L block.
Demon, you of anyone I expected to understand that. :rolleyes:

DO NOT insult how much I paid as this was my project, and I chose not to cut corners. I have a well built (by my own hands) engine, that will be making some great numbers in spring. :cool:

I realize I could have gotten a turbo kit, I chose not to go that route. With that route I still would have needed an LSD and new clutch and all the costs associated with it.

If you don't have anything positive to say, please refrain from saying them. I mearly was showing how things ALWAYS cost more in actuality than they do on paper.

·
0 Posts
Dude, you just contradicted what you said. um lets see, an lsd, ya that definitely goes in the tranny, as for the clutch, same. You said you've put 6 grand in your 3L so far. I don't think anyone was including the tranny. NO 3L should ever cost 6 grand even with cams and heads. with 6 grand you can build a killer with all bolts ons included and maybe a small sum left over to put towards your upcoming turbo. i KNOW for sure.

And 1100 for the lsd and install. WOW, let me flush my toilet, if u spent that much to buy and install one someone is better off going to mechanics school and then installing it themself.

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Originally posted by: 11secBlur
Dude, you just contradicted what you said. um lets see, an lsd, ya that definitely goes in the tranny, as for the clutch, same. You said you've put 6 grand in your 3L so far. I don't think anyone was including the tranny. NO 3L should ever cost 6 grand even with cams and heads. with 6 grand you can build a killer with all bolts ons included and maybe a small sum left over to put towards your upcoming turbo. i KNOW for sure.

And 1100 for the lsd and install. WOW, let me flush my toilet, if u spent that much to buy and install one someone is better off going to mechanics school and then installing it themself.
Let me clarify your bits of misinformation here since you seem intent on attacking CougarGT on trivial little details.

First, let me begin with a quote from CougarGT's message, in which he said "There are many other costs associated with an engine swap other than just a 3.0L block."
There goes your "You said you've put 6 grand in your 3L so far" statement, because it was wrong. BAM.
And for those who weren't including the tranny, like you, and who apparently can't do basic math (or just aren't willing to and would prefer to attack someone), again like you, that brings the engine build total down to $4300.

Adding these parts to the tranny SHOULD BE A PART OF A 3L BUILD, which is what CougarGT was trying to say. But yeah, i guess you only see what you wanna see.

Now, about the costsof the LSD and install, I will tell you he did not do the LSD himself. It was shipped to Terry Haines in michigan. So there's where he gets the $1100 from. bout 500 for the Quaife, little less than 400 for the labor, around 100 for shipping a 100-lb transmission, $60ish for a new slave cylinder..

You flame him for spending a lot on his LSD install.. Okay dude... You swapped a 3L onto an ATX... a crappy one at that.. and you cant even get a real LSD. And good luck supercharging it.. I guess you must have the one cd4e that built small enough so the s/c has room to be installed. :banghead:

·
Registered
254 Posts

Dude, I hardly post on this board, and I NEVER talk sh!t... sorry, but you need to remove your head from your ass

btw, how much did your level ten tranny run you? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Ov3n was just about correct in his assumptions based on my LSD install.

The LSD is the one thing I did not trust myself to install. I decided to send it to the one person who probably has the most experience with working on the MTX-75.

The transmission cost about $80 to ship to HMS, and about $80 to ship back.
I was charged about $350 for labor to install the LSD up to and including a full rebuild.
I was charged around $50 for new bearings, shims, and Zetec speedo gear, and about 500 for the Quaife LSD.

My POINT is, why build a 3.0L hybrid that makes good power, if you CANNOT get the power to the ground safely, what is the point?

Once again, if you do know have knowledge or a desire to learn more about the joys of 3.0Lering your Cougar/Contour, please refrain from posting in this section.

R

·
0 Posts

ok your getting on someone for what they paid for a 3L swap?

you've wasted more money than anyone! how much did your level 10 rebuild cost, probably over 3K easy!

id say i got over 6K into my setup also and im not done yet. but the saying goes: do it right the first time and you wont have to do it again!

i have a 3L hybrid, i had the block bored out 1mm. and had the engine completely balanced. new pistons, rings, and all bearings. the heads have a full PnP with 3L valves.

i have SVT cams, UIM, and LIM. i have msds headers, and in the spring im gonna do a true dual exhaust setup.

i have a 65mm TB, bat intake pipe, and lightning MAF, im gonna make a true cold air intake this spring (i have the stock intake setup with a KKM on now)

i purchased a 2001 CD4E from a cougar, had 2K miles on it. i had sonnax valves installed along with a shiftkit, which i paid a tranny shop to do since i dont wanna chance ruining my tranny.

i also had the torque convertor modified with a 3500 stall speed, again, i didnt do that myself because i do not know how.

this spring i will be running nitrous on my engine, but not until i upgrade my fuel pump!

my tuning is done by streetflight, they are the absolute best tuners for our cars!

after spending tons of cash, what am i left with? im left with a brand new engine, that i built myself, tons of knowledge. the engine and transmission will probably outlast the car itself!

you will regret cutting corners someday while me and the other guys who spared no expense will have a fast, reliable setup for years to come.

btw, it would be fun to race you :) 3L ATX vs 3L ATX

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarGT
Yes they are very expensive.
A well build hybrid is not cheap either.
I have around $6000 put into mine, and that is not including all the bolt on's I had before I performed the swap.
I figured I would quote that since it SPECIFICALLY STATES you have $6000 into your "well built hybrid"

Plus the question of the thread was about the cost of building a 3L hybrid.

Also for the record a 3L hybrid is just the engine!

So my questioning of spending 6k on JUST A 3L HYBRID was sound and very valid. It was the orignal post by you that was very vague and misleading.

My POINT is, why build a 3.0L hybrid that makes good power, if you CANNOT get the power to the ground safely, what is the point?
That "may have been your point" but that is definitely not what you stated in your post and why you got the response you did.

I too agree that it would be just plain silly not to upgrade the tranny parts (and there are a lot of upgrades - syncros, forks, tower, diff, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, et cetera) when you had everything apart.

BTW - my price of $1200 includes many nice upgrades above what an 01+ oval port 3L gives you already.

If you wanted to throw in all the tranny upgrades I mentioned earlier it would put the mark around $2600.
Add Bilstein Sprintlines and progressive springs and the total is around $3200.

That's an "entire car package" for what the POS Vortec kit cost. :cool: Plus instead it makes Everything stronger which is very unlike the Vortec... :kick:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I don't know why people wouldn't always quote "total engine/driveline/suspension" prices there are so many parts that can/should be upgraded when that engine is laying on the floor that its fricken stupid not to include them in a more accurate estimate versus 'just a 3L hybrid'.

Its also not fair to compare a 3L build starting with a SVT versus a cougar, the oil cooler, SVT Cams, intake manifolds, etc make it more expensive for us to build the same thing.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: Kinger
I don't know why people wouldn't always quote "total engine/driveline/suspension" prices there are so many parts that can/should be upgraded when that engine is laying on the floor that its fricken stupid not to include them in a more accurate estimate versus 'just a 3L hybrid'.

Its also not fair to compare a 3L build starting with a SVT versus a cougar, the oil cooler, SVT Cams, intake manifolds, etc make it more expensive for us to build the same thing.
Thanks Jesse. Its common sense to me.
If newbies think they can do a 3L swap for $1200 like DemonSVT is saying, they are very wrong.
They might be able to have a 3.0L sitting on the floor built, but its definitely not installed, and other CRUCIAL parts have not been upgraded.
I dont even see how tuning is figured into the $1200 estimate. We don't have the luck of having 19lb injectors stock, with a PCM calibrated for them, like the SVT 'tours do.

Just a case of the SVT 'tour guys getting ****y in the 3.0L section on a Cougar forums :)

I see this thread on its way to :lock:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarGT
1. If newbies think they can do a 3L swap for $1200 like DemonSVT is saying, they are very wrong.

2. They might be able to have a 3.0L sitting on the floor built, but its definitely not installed, and other CRUCIAL parts have not been upgraded.

3. We don't have the luck of having 19lb injectors stock
1. Again you fail to notice my "KEY WORDS" If you are capable. Hell yeah the cost will triple if you include labor.
IMO It's not really a worthwhile mod if you can't do it yourself. Now you are talking 3-4k for just a basic 3L swap. Hell IMO almost any mod is not worth it if you can't turn your own wrenches. Though I'll be glad to charge those people hourly labor on any of the mods. :biggrin:

2. See #1
The post was HOW MUCH A HYBRID COST. You are arguing semantics saying that you MUST include every other mod in the price of just "A 3L HYBRID"

3. Good thing the 3L comes with 24lb injectors then. (see below about tuning)

Yes I agree the cost of "tuning" was left out. That was definitely an oversite on my part as I forget about needing outside tuning. Add $350-400 for a tuned chip.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts