New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I hope this hasnt been answered, I couldnt find anything in the search and CEG's search is down right now... Not cougar related but it is 3.0 related.

My mom has a 2001 taurus with the 3.0 duratec (no she won't let me trade, I tried) and we are getting tired of paying the dealer and taking it in for oil changes, just makes sense that they can get me to do it for free ;) so I looked in her manual and it calls for 5w-20. now, I never even see 5w20 when I'm getting oil for my car, which takes 5w30... Why would the 3.0 ask for a different oil than the 2.5? I wanted to ask to 3.0 Gurus here before I did anything to a car with less than 10K on it, I'd imaging 5w30 would work fine but wanted to check. Thanks alot!

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
The weight requirements of the oil chages with the year of the engine ... later 2.5L's take 5W-20. I think that the switch occured in 2001 model year. The main reason for the weight change is for better gas milage and slightly better emissions.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
the bummer part about changing the oil on the escape, is you need to remove the splash guard so you can get a good handle on the oil filter :(

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
puck, the SVT is like that too.

so I should stick with 5w20 in the taurus? gonna be fun finding that stuff... I was going to stick with the 5w30, I buy it by the case for my SVT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts