New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much says it all...

I'm looking to optimize the handling of my Cougar. I already have front and rear STBs, practically brand new (less than 7K) Motorcraft struts, Roush Racing lowering springs (1.8" drop), and 19" forged aluminum wheels (only 15lbs each) with 225/35/19 Yokohama Parada Spec 2 tires.

Do you think that the best choices for further enhancing the handling of my car (99 V6 MTX) would be adding the largest rear sway bar available (21mm) and the subframe connectors (made for the Contour & available at cta motorsports)?

Would the addition of these parts improve the handling performance of my car, and would they be worth their asking price?

Thanks very much for your opinions!

~CIII

·
Registered
941 Posts
24mm hollow aussie bar will be the largest- with weld in or bolt in backing plates so they dont break over time

New stiffer bushings will help also.

Struts should be upgraded, koni, bilstein, etc...they make a huge difference over the stock ones...even if they are new motorcraft ones.

Also take out the front strut brace...i dont see how it would help the front end handle BETTER ...since the front end needs to flex a little...or leave it since ya bought it i guess.\

Subframe are kinda overkill in my opinion since our cars are already pretty rigid.

Stiffer you go, the harsher the daily ride...springs, struts, sway bar..sticky tires...best bet

G

·
I ended up doing my entire suspension all at once...and its like driving a whole other car. I put the front stb the rear 21mm w/ bushings B+G springs Koni shocks 18" wheels and Nitto 555 tires...it is an awsome handling car.

·
Registered
587 Posts
DJ is correct, the 24mm Aussie bar is the largest. Installations says to remove gas tank and this and that. It is not needed. You do however have to fabricate some new brackets as this bar will snap the stock brackets. I welded mine to place ( well the shop welded, but I told them to :biggrin: )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.