New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite what the owner's manual says about there being a sticker on the passenger side door dictating the correct tire pressure for my '99 Cougar, I have been unsuccessful in finding it; it's either missing or I'm just blind. Either way, according to the manufacturer, what is the correct tire pressure for my car? It has 205/60/15's on the factory alloys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just did a search on the Web and found this site, which is saying 31 up front, 35 in the rear? Does this sound right? If that's the case, mine are underinflated ... :disgust:

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
I would run close to what the Tire manufacturer recommends on the side of the tire..

Ford would have never had the firestone fiasco if people would have had the tires inflated to the tire specs... :)

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I checked what the web sites recommends (which I'm guessing are "Factory" settings from the product description) and found they are wrong for both the Cougar and Accord that I have the factory settings on..

To answer your question.. the door sticker for the V6 Cougar says: 205/50/15 is 30 psi and the 215/50/16 is 32 psi, all around. (1999 passenger side door sticker). If you door sticker is missing, there is a very good chance that your car has been in a serious side impact crash.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After much online sleuthing, I found another site that indeed lists the factory recommended tire pressure for my particular vehicle and tire size as being 30 psi all around, so I guess I have to let a few pounds out of my rears.

I again checked for that door sticker and was again unsuccessful in finding it. I have the VIN/paint color stickers on my driver's side door, but nothing on the passenger side. The car seems like it's in primo shape and doesn't look like it was ever in an accident, and I just checked CARFAX today which turned up nothing peculiar, so either the sticker was removed or is missing for some other strange reason or there was an accident that was repaired very nicely. :shrug:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Eric F - just to let you know the recommended psi on the tire is actuall the max psi. (why it say max psi before the #). It is the max psi the tire can be at while hold when loaded to it max weight rating and at its max speed. most high perf. tires are rated at 44-60 psi on the side walls but unless you have a good friend in the tire business I wouldn't put them there. It's a common misconception; which usually leads to premature tire wear...and yes 5psi extra can cause it to wear quicker. Usually the psi on the recommended by the manufacturer is figured out by figuring out the average load (weight from cornering, accelerating etc.) that will be on the front and rear tires, and calculate a tire pressure that will allow the tire to wear best under normal conditons.

sorry about that but I work at a tire shop, and although it's a mistake that helps us to sell more tires, it also leads to unsafe tires.

and the whole firestone/explorer thing was a mis calc, a vehice of that weight and size should have had the tires at no lower than 30 psi (not the 26 on the door)

oh and back to the subject at hand, 30/30 for the 15" alloys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts