New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope everyone is finding their way through the madness of the world right now. I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home without any major disruptions to my life yet, but I know a lot of people are out of work and there's a lot of stress in every industry and that stress will only amplify as time goes on.

Chins up, we will get through this.

Hopefully history will show this event to be a hardship that inspired positive changes in the long run.
-More people working from home permanently -> Less fossil fuel usage -> Closer families -> Happier children ->Better online education resources -> Smarter spending habits, ???

The average Cougar owner can't help you through a financial hard time, but I think we've purged most of our negativity off of this forum so if you need to vent or just float some thoughts in relative anonymity, feel free.

·
8,504 Posts
We're working from home as well, so we're actually saving money (fuel and wear and tear on the cars, no dog walker, and we're not going to the cafe every day to buy expensive snacks). Plus every day is bring-your-cats-and-dogs-to-work-day.

Gas prices are crazy - I paid $1.99/gallon to fill the Mazda last night. I should get the motorhome running so I can go fill that tank as well before the prices come back up!

·
Administrator
15,443 Posts
My office is closed so I'm working from home as well now. I'm used to telecommuting so it isn't much of a change for me but my co-workers are all losing their minds. I'm hoping to use the spare time and saved money to get lots of work done on the house. We'll see if that actually happens.

My girlfriend is an RN in the ICU at the UPMC hospital here so that's a bit scary. No cases here so she hasn't brought anything home with her as of yet. Obviously they take every precaution but I'm still nervous for her.

RJ - I did my part and filled my census out for you!

·
Administrator
11,470 Posts
Also lucky to be WFH during this. I've been enjoying that aspect of it because the subway system in Boston was the worst part of my day. I'm also noticing a lot less spending from coffee or lunches, plus my bus/subway pass on top of not driving as much.

With all the car events canceled till at least June I'll have more time to get some work on the Cougar done. In fact, w/out a 1.5hr commute I'm more in the mood to do that after work.

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
I haven't been in the office since March 13th. Not hard to do what I do from my home, 'cept for the slow VPN access when I do need to access our network. But I leave it off most of the time.

I think I've left the house like 3 times in that span. Probably going out to get some carry-out lunch today though. Don't tell nobody...

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a full-time RV'er, I dont have the luxury of "Stocking up" on anything so I'm still hitting the store pretty much every day or two.
My slow internet is also killing me at the campground I'm currently parked at so when I have to participate in a meeting I drive up the road to the walmart parking lot and do it from there. For routine work, I have to download everything at once when I have a signal so my intermittent connectivity doesn't stop me at every step.

·
8,504 Posts
RJ - I did my part and filled my census out for you!
That's good. We always want people to self-respond (by internet, preferably), but with current events it's even more important that people self-respond. Who wants an army of enumerators walking around?

As a full-time RV'er, I dont have the luxury of "Stocking up" on anything so I'm still hitting the store pretty much every day or two.
My slow internet is also killing me at the campground I'm currently parked at so when I have to participate in a meeting I drive up the road to the walmart parking lot and do it from there. For routine work, I have to download everything at once when I have a signal so my intermittent connectivity doesn't stop me at every step.
What kind of RV do you have, anyway? I have some friends that are full-time, and so far no problem with finding campgrounds, but many public campgrounds keep closing. I don't understand why states are closing campgrounds (bathhouses, offices, gathering halls, sure...but not letting people stay in their RVs?).

Our Airstream club has cancelled it's international rally, scheduled for June in Loveland, Colorado, and asked the individual units to cancel any local rallies for the next 60 days or so. Most of the regional rallies have been cancelled, too - the ones that haven't weren't scheduled at all, or were scheduled much later in the year. This reminds me, I need to cancel our reservations for late April...

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good. We always want people to self-respond (by internet, preferably), but with current events it's even more important that people self-respond. Who wants an army of enumerators walking around?

What kind of RV do you have, anyway? I have some friends that are full-time, and so far no problem with finding campgrounds, but many public campgrounds keep closing. I don't understand why states are closing campgrounds (bathhouses, offices, gathering halls, sure...but not letting people stay in their RVs?).

Our Airstream club has cancelled it's international rally, scheduled for June in Loveland, Colorado, and asked the individual units to cancel any local rallies for the next 60 days or so. Most of the regional rallies have been cancelled, too - the ones that haven't weren't scheduled at all, or were scheduled much later in the year. This reminds me, I need to cancel our reservations for late April...
We live in a 37 ft Fleetwood Southwind. I'm pretty happy with the situation overall, but its certainly been a learning experience. If I had to do it over, I think I would have gotten a truck and a trailer instead.

My wife is starting to have a hard time with the nomadic lifestyle, so I don't know how much longer its going to last. In truth, I'm really getting itchy for a damn garage too. It would be nice to have a fall-back house and I think I'm going to have to resolve that situation soon.

I haven't heard anything from my current campground (In Connecticut) about closures or restrictions but the owners live on-site so I think its pretty easy for them to manage any state restrictions. The average person would be amazed at how many full-time RV'ers are out here so I dont see any practical way to close down the private campgrounds.

·
1,600 Posts
Hey guys, I'm working from home as well. I've also been finding more time in the evenings to work on projects... I've been working on C2 Coug.... hoping to finish it up this weekend!

·
8,504 Posts
We live in a 37 ft Fleetwood Southwind. I'm pretty happy with the situation overall, but its certainly been a learning experience. If I had to do it over, I think I would have gotten a truck and a trailer instead.
We were talking to a work camper one time who said, "I love traveling in a motorhome, but camping in a 5th wheel." I really thought that summed up the differences between the two setups well.

I started with a motorhome, and I towed a car to several CougarFests with it. Then in 2011 we bought a truck and a trailer, and we sold the motorhome. In 2017 we bought the motorhome back as a project, thinking we could do things like: Take it to Kings Dominion for the day, then camp overnight somewhere, then head home the next day. It's much easier to do that with that rig than it is the truck and trailer. Or maybe I take it and a bicycle for an epic ride somewhere, so I don't have to drive to the spot in the morning.

My wife is starting to have a hard time with the nomadic lifestyle, so I don't know how much longer its going to last. In truth, I'm really getting itchy for a damn garage too. It would be nice to have a fall-back house and I think I'm going to have to resolve that situation soon.
Yeah, I get that. Much as we love our campers, we decided we do want to have a home to return to.

I haven't heard anything from my current campground (In Connecticut) about closures or restrictions but the owners live on-site so I think its pretty easy for them to manage any state restrictions. The average person would be amazed at how many full-time RV'ers are out here so I dont see any practical way to close down the private campgrounds.
Yeah, I doubt they would close the private campgrounds for that reason. We did offer to some friends that they can camp at our house, if it comes to that, but I don't think that will happen.

Reactions: mmc757

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
working from home too. the quality of my memes have gone up, and my productivity has gone down. not great, not terrible.

everyone in my entourage (college / uni students) are losing their minds since nothing is too too certain right now. The situation is still very fluid, medically, society-wise and semester-wise. we may be continuing it from a distance, we may have it cancelled. and if we have it cancelled, we may have our courses credited as done, or we might have to do them again. most stores are closed, but not all, and we're not too too sure how long. Alcohol and Weed (yep, legal now, and government-sold) are open for business.. 'essential' businesses only they said.. ha! hospitals and senior care homes are closed to visitors, and ANY gathering of 2 or more besides family are now outlawed, with police being given authority to handle it.

Result : 18-25 year olds who've never not been in complete charge and control of their lives are freaking the hell out. it's pretty funny to watch, though. I've got a few years with the reserves now - where pretty much EVERYTHING is improv and winging it, where you aren't told a damn thing about what's going on or going to happen, and no info ever gets passed down to you. Couple that with engineering studies (Socialize?.. what's that?) and this whole thing is kind of business as usual. My class attendance rate hasn't significantly changed, even if we haven't had class for two weeks.

·
3,400 Posts
Does being unemployed after graduating with a bachelors degree last May because you cant find a job doing what you want that doesnt require a security clearance (even "entry level") count as working from home? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's an unexpected side effect of the Virus:

Before all the quarantines started hitting, we were babysitting / transporting a dog (Welsh Terrier - Wikipedia) who was supposed to be borrowed from a breeder to be used in a grooming demonstration.

Quarantines went into effect, the grooming event got cancelled, and we found ourselves dog sitting indefinitely.

Fine, no big deal.

Two weeks later, the dog develops a life-threatening condition requiring her uterus to be removed to save her life.
The owner is a serious breeder and has no purpose for a spayed dog, so she only agrees to pay for the surgery if we agree to keep the dog, otherwise, she's just going to be euthanized.
Well, she's a very nice little dog and only five years old so...now we have another dog. SURPRISE!

·
8,504 Posts
I demand payment of the dog tax!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Im still out in the world working. Being a full time mechanic I dont get the luxury of work from home. Still get my hourly pay but the lack of business because everyone spent all their money on TP is kind of hurting my pay for job work. Be safe all its crazy out there.

·
5,241 Posts
Working from home, six feet away from my wife who also surprisingly is working from home, while attempting to maintain my six and eight year old's eLearning experience. I don't know where ya'll find "extra time" for projects.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Well, I was working from home, tore down a Tesla Model Y, you can find our youtube channel discussing a lot of our observations here, so I was working 6 days a week for my normal salary, but I got two weeks of sitting around waiting for parts to be torn off so I electrified the eastern wall of my garage with 120V and really bumped up the lighting so I could take photos out there.

I also lost about 17lbs during the lock down, not bad considering that everybody I know was complaining about gaining. I suppose a good portion of that loss though was muscle, I'd been gyming 3-5 days a week consistently since September, all that progress is now lost, like... tears in the rain.

How'd you guys fair over the last two months of lockdown?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts