New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 18, first off. Im gonna be buying a new car within a year... HAVING A JOB IS GREAT... and have been eyeing Civic Si's, tc's and SE tiburons a lot lately. I just want you guys to help me decide....if you own the car is it a pos? Tell me. Im not a speed racer or anything i do the speed limit always despite my age...blah blah blah...Just let me know what you think of those cars! im still keeping the cougar fyi I just want a new car :(

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
in the threat of sounding old... :ugh:
if you are planning on keeping the cougar, why get a new car? I assume you'd be financing the honda? IDK, if I were you, I'd rather not have the extra expense of the car payment. (and would say that about any new car - nothing against the civic)

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in the threat of sounding old... :ugh:
if you are planning on keeping the cougar, why get a new car? I assume you'd be financing the honda? IDK, if I were you, I'd rather not have the extra expense of the car payment. (and would say that about any new car - nothing against the civic)
Yeah, I'd put about $5K down and the rest would be financed. The Civic Si is about $22 and so is the SE Tib. tC's are a little cheaper... I dont know what im going to do...:(

·
Registered
437 Posts
personally if i were getting another car and it was out of those 3...i would prob get the scion tc. my gf has that car and it a nice car for the money. i just wouldnt wanna be rollin around in a honda. but thats just me. and if i had a cougar...y get a tib. they will keep givin eachother problems. they are rivals. so out of those i would go with the tc. its a good lookin car.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
To go off topic a little, many magazine reviews have compared the Civic SI, and the VW GTI. The GTI normally comes out on top and has received several "Best" awards. Also not trying to sound old, but at 18 if your cougar is running well, invest your money into something else like college, or save for a house, or even retirement. The $30k+ you will end up spending on a new car by the time it is paid off would be worth a **** load by the time you reach retirement age.

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Germany > Japan
Send a PM to Badazzcougar and see what HE thinks about them . . . he's a mechanic at a VW dealership . . . :rofl:

Now, to the question at hand . . . not for nothin, but this is a COUGAR board . . . there's a couple of people that have moved on to the Civic's, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to get much useful information here on the cars . . .

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Send a PM to Badazzcougar and see what HE thinks about them . . . he's a mechanic at a VW dealership . . . :rofl:

Now, to the question at hand . . . not for nothin, but this is a COUGAR board . . . there's a couple of people that have moved on to the Civic's, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to get much useful information here on the cars . . .
yeah....but see, the name of this forum tells me NON COUGAR automotive discusion. ;)

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To go off topic a little, many magazine reviews have compared the Civic SI, and the VW GTI. The GTI normally comes out on top and has received several "Best" awards. Also not trying to sound old, but at 18 if your cougar is running well, invest your money into something else like college, or save for a house, or even retirement. The $30k+ you will end up spending on a new car by the time it is paid off would be worth a **** load by the time you reach retirement age.
Even though I may not agree 100% with you. Good point. And yeah, my cougar is running really well, no problems, its a 99 V6MTX and its been verrry well taken care off. I'll probably end up keeping it about 2 or 3 more years. I baby that freakin thing. Just had oil,filter, brakes and new tires put on last month. just ordered a $240 K&N air intake last week. I hope it doesnt break on me though!! Are cougars reliable? my mom bought this car for me and april with 94,270miles for 5K...now it has 95,130 on it...so i dont ride it a whoolllllee lot...but ive maintained it and will continue to do so....

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Seriously, you need to get your priorities in order ... free car > paying for a car ... regardless of the car's condition. Insurance is more, parts are more, etc. Keep the Cougar till it falls apart and take the monthly payment you have planned for the "new" car and put it into a high yield savings account to start. In 6 months, when you have $2K saved up, open an investment account. In 5 years, look back and laugh when you have $50K in the bank!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
:cover:

Buy a Solstice. You can get late model used ones for less than those boring econoboxes.

Oh, and my insurance is less for my brand new GXP than it was for my Cougar, and I have a 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty, so parts are free too.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Im 19 and i have 2 jobs so my income is good. What Im trying to do is save up for my own place. I also have a cougar and could afford paying for a new car. But im saving my money for down the road. Just cause you have money doesnt mean that you should spend it.

Anyways, if you do get a new car, I heard that the new Altima Coupes are sweet. They come with a package with the 3.0S motor. And the just look totally awsome.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,819 Posts
Drive teh Cougar until it breaks, then take the $ you WOULD have spent on a rice rocket and buy a Lotus.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts