New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure the "clunk" I hear going over bumps etc. is because the rear end link bushings are toast, as many of you predicted. I checked it yesterday evening and there's not much bushing remaining on either side. My Contour has a similar noise and I'll check it today.

So I checked the rear bar mounting bushings. They looked decent but thought I'd replace them (all, eventually) with poly bushings. If you haven't tried this, especially if you autox, poly is a huge improvement.

Yet, searching here, RockAuto, BAT, Energy Suspension, Moog, AutoZone, Advance, and even Ebay, I can't find a definitive answer for the above question. 20mm seems to be the consensus for the front bar, but sizes for the rear range from 16-18mm.

Thought I'd re-check here to see if there was ever a definitive answer before I order.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
There's not a definitive answer. So many got switched over time. Take a 16-20mm open end wrench and stick it over it and see what size it is.

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
As I recall, the 99-00 Cougars came with standard 17mm rear bars. There have been rumors that the later 01-02 Cougars used the upgraded 19mm SVT Contour part. But indeed it's easy to use a series of open-end wrenches to measure, even if you don't own a micrometer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well it's not 18mm and that's the largest open end wrench I have. I guess it's off to buy a couple of larger wrenches or a battery for my micrometer (honestly forgot I had it).

Kinda odd how the rear sway bar size is such a mystery. Even RockAuto lists 3 sizes (16-18). I'll check it with my micrometer after I get a battery.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dunno about other models but the 2002 XR has a 19mm rear bar and 20mm front. I measure both several times at different locations to be sure.

Also, Energy Suspension has parts for an 18mm RSB for the SVT here. Maybe later models upgraded to a 19? Guess I'll fish around on their site and hope to find the right size.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Yeah, I think the sport models started getting 19mm bars at some point (my 01 had a 19), but none of the parts sources ever seemed to get the memo. You just have to snoop around to find a 19mm bushing or use an 18 and live with a little gap, it wont hurt anything.

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
Theoretically that little gap will be good for holding onto a bit of extra lube, huh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts