New Cougar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It’s just forward of, and between, the last two cylinders. The UIM and fuel rail have to come off to access. Brilliant placement.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Your photo IS the PCV. Its just the little fitting tree.

For cleaning the UIM, I had good luck using a wire toilet brush, that I cut to open up to make a sort of heavy duty pipe cleaner. One of these ones: Carlisle 21 in. Plastic Handle Polypropylene Bowl Scrub Brush (Case of 24)-36100624 - The Home Depot

Lots of people have eliminated the secondaries from the LIM, but it seems only the 3.0l's still run right like that. The reduced flow velocity leads to poor fuel mixing. Its easy enough to just pin them open in a temporary manner so you can decide for yourself though. I think you've already hit on the right answer though, make a point of running the RPM's up and opening the secondaries every once in a while, combined with a occasional cleanings.

FWIW, removing the LIM for a better cleaning isnt as hard as it looks, but beware of brittle injector connectors if you decide to do it. Also, if you do go that far, you might as well pull the injectors and soak them in injector cleaner too. The injector O-rings are readily available, just make sure you have enough on hand before committing. I found my local parts stores usually carry a few but had to order more in to get enough.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ford changed the location for the 01-02 PCV, It's not in the pic: it's at the other end of the breather tube which connects between the rear cylinders, completely and totally ridiculous placement.

The only way to access is to pull the UIM, fuel rail, and/or LIM. I'm debating which is easier. Had it not been for the old linked thread, I'd still be scratching my head. Thanks, CSVT1214!

As for the secondaries, I also found a file I'll try to link which talks about UIM, LIM, and fuel rail rebuilding. It recommends adjusting the secondaries to remain slightly open to reduce overall carbon buildup and improve mid range performance. I'm guessing fully open is simply too much air at low RPM, especially with stock cams.

I went about half way on the adjusting screw and will see how it runs. Although I didn't measure the clearance, this setting simply cracks the butterflies open. Once I get it sorted and running, I'll try running the adjuster fully in and see how she runs. With all the carbon being dumped into the intake by the EGR, PCV, and valve cover vents, if nothing else, cracking these open will hopefully reduce (some) carbon build up. And I'll take a mid range improvement as a side benefit. ;)

Great info and thanks! Now to decide the easier route to get to the PCV and wait impatiently on parts.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You're referring to the oil separator. I'm not sure if the PCV valve that is part of the separator is replaceable or not (I suspect not), or if its worth the trouble if it even is replaceable.
I can tell you your carbon buildup is not unique, they all do it in stock configuration, and it happens fast.
A few people have added oil catch cans to the PCV and/or valve cover breathers in order to reduce the oil entry into the intake, and also blocking off the EGR is pretty straightforward.
The other part of the equation is that while I understand it can be shocking to look at, the carbon buildup probably doesn't actually matter much. If it mattered, the car companies would put a little more effort into system cleanliness. The average car owner will never clean their intake. As long as the passages in the TB are clear and the butterfly's in the LIM function, theres probably no measurable impact to the car as a whole.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Here's a little more about my toilet brush:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Excellent point on being worth the trouble. Although I planned to use the new PCV on my Contour, I couldn't leave well enough alone on the Cougar. The "flexible" tubing downstream of the valve is now broken. Best I can tell, this lt's completely hollow!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
So THIS is what Ford calls a "PCV valve???" It's simply a large hollow fitting, no valve. Of course the retainer clip broke, as did the plastic line. I think I'm simply gonna replace the crappy plastic expandable line with with fuel line from the T to the next fitting. Bah.

PCV1
PCV2

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The new plugs (Autolite APP104) came today so at least I accomplished something. Motorcraft Platinum AGSF32FM came out and didn't look terrible. They were gapped slightly tight at .050. Dunno if they're original but the seller said they'd never been changed. The wire on it are Autolite's.

Old Plugs

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I think I'm simply gonna replace the crappy plastic expandable line with with fuel line from the T to the next fitting. Bah.
I did the same. I even replaced the Tee fitting. everything down there is rubber fuel line now, save for the 6 inch long, curvy plastic tube.

a lot of the engineering on this car makes me scratch my head. on the Lincoln V6 i have here, (I think it's an 05) the water pump, tensioner, and a lot of cooling passages are just one big unitized aluminum piece. awesome, simple, logical. On the Cougar, we've got like two or three separate castings and eighteen quintillion hoses that are all molded in weird shapes and 4 inches long, with diameter changes in between. I love this car, but it feels like some of this stuff could have used a few more iterations.

excited to find out if the ignition fixes your problem. let us know :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The PCV is just dumb. Sorry, but it is. I suppose the idea is, when the intake generates enough vacuum, gases will be sucked from the hollow chamber and re-burned. Perhaps not a terrible idea, but they made everything out of cheap crappy plastic. Bah.

I think I'll try to simply run fuel line from the T to the remainder of the flexible line.

Edsel Ford, in case you're reading this, your cost engineers have too much say. Next time, use a better quality line supplier and a damned metal PCV valve! (Rant=off).

Will likely get the wires and coil on today but waiting on the UIM gasket. :/

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just checked RockAuto. UIM gasket should be here Friday. Actually forgot I ordered the IACV and gasket. They're set to be here Thursday.

🤞

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The plastic tubes in the engine bay are dumb, but I do give them credit for building a very simple machine. Theres very little in the way of "WTF is that for?" in this engine bay. Minimal emissions controls BS, nice job combining similar functions where possible, very nice timing system, very little that cant be fixed without major interference removal... I know we like to ***** about things like alternator placement or control arm bolts, but all of those things are, in the end, accessible enough to fix almost anything without engine removal.
I think the only thing I've given up on accessing is the exhaust manifolds. I wouldnt want to try to replace timing chains in-car, but I think people have done it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
For the PCV, I'm simply going to replace the few inches of disintegrated plastic tubing downstream of the PCV with fuel line. May have been leaking some already. The remainder of the plastic line (looped behind the brake booster and along the top of the firewall) seems okay.

Plugs, wires, and coil installed. The coil had absolutely no markings on it at all. Nada. I wonder...

Hopefully Saturday I can finish up with the UIM and the remaining parts.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Is this the car that has a video on facebook with anti-foulers on the sparkplugs and some kind of coil pack trainwreck going on?

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
Is this the car that has a video on facebook with anti-foulers on the sparkplugs and some kind of coil pack trainwreck going on?
Haha, no, that guy is in Tacoma.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I didnt think so since this one seems to be getting new parts, but the similarities in the stuff he is looking at are uncanny.

Dont do what that guy is doing.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts