New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought 2002 35th anniversary cougar auto and im looking to give it some balls going with an auto limits me on some **** i know but that really wasn't my choice :rolleyes: but any way im looking for suggestions on where to start because im lost

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
First, get an intake(GMK CAI), exhaust(trubendz.com). That will give you a good base for upgrading more later. Being an ATX, it would be more in your favor to go into cosmetic than go into performance. For that, check the newbies section about how to get started.

·
Registered
388 Posts
welcome to the world of slow and show"ATX" like tropic said there are ways to get more hp it really comes down to how much are you willing to to spend?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I understand an atx limits me but theres not much I can do about that now.
but I want to know what can be done with it regardless, im willing to invest around 3 or 4 thousand

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Well under 3k will get you a chip, intake, exhaust, and headers. Do that to start, from there you can go into more serious engine stuff. BTW, what part of NY?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: Zman
Well under 3k will get you a chip, intake, exhaust, and headers. Do that to start, from there you can go into more serious engine stuff. BTW, what part of NY?
You could fit a nitrous kit in there and still stay within your budget. With those mods + N20, you should be able to beat pretty much any car that is comparable to the cougar as long as they are not heavily modified... Just know your car's limits and don't try racing any Corvettes! You will be able to prevail over most cars that are in your class... I can put new Celicas and Eclipses to shame!

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
whats with all the n00bs asking for the best intake and making an atx fast
seeeeeeeeeeeeriously! :confused:

i'm not one to *****... but really... people should start SEARCHING!
this question feels likes its been asked 10 times this month already.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
i have an ATX and for a while it was all for show...but I want some more power as well (Can't make your car look fast, when it's not). So in the next few weeks (hopefully) I'll be installing my new (well, new but used), y-pipe w/ hi-flow cat from Trubendz, and probably gutting the precats as well. I already have an AEM intake and dual exhaust...you want the single exhaust if you're looking for power. Down the line I hope to eventually get some SVT parts as well. Then a bigger MAF and a custom burned chip. Nitrous sounds nice too, but I must start saving now. heh.

Mike

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
whats with all the n00bs asking for the best intake and making an atx fast
they are (I'm not gonna criticize against those of younger age, even though they still suck, I mean are less knowledgeable.) what do you expect? I don't think I need to explain further.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Bolt ons are a decent way to make decent power. But your better off in the long run to do it right the first time and put your money where it will really count.

If you have the means, I recommend you invest that "3-4 Thosand" towards a Motor Swap. Look into the 3.0 Section for possiblities. This is the best and most reliable way to make alot more HP and most importantly TQ.

Unfortunatly your ATX also limits your abilty to get a Turbo or a SuperCharger. The transmission is in the way. (this is why I recommend a 3.0 engine) Nitrous is an option, but keep in mind your automatic will hate you for it in the long run. I HIGHly recommend a Tranny Cooler. You will also hear about the "level10" tranny upgrade. Its a waste of money. I recommend you use local sources for tranny upgrades.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: joeyroland
Why single exhaust for more power? I though dual gave better airflow?
It would be better if it was true duals, right from the manifolds, but there's a split so it's not because the airflow only counts right when you come out of the engine. If you wanna get technical, the single exhaust will give you an edge because it weighs less. Duals are mostly for show and sound.

Mike

·
Registered
222 Posts
What would I need for true duel exhaust?

Also, how much more would that run than standard?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
for true duals you'd need a lot of custom piping and welding so that you can route the pipes under the car. It'll probably cost a LOT more than standard, considering the pipes would have to be bent and new hangers welded to the car.

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts