New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel pump on my cougar quit and I am attempting to replace it. I gothe old on out, but it sets on the bottom of the tank and locks in place. The one I got from napa is attached to the top plate and hangs from the mounting plate. Did mercury update the fuel pump, or do I need to buy one from the dealer. I don't want to install the wrong pump, and not be able to return it.

·
Administrator
15,626 Posts
Ford did change the design and it sounds like you might have the updated design. Does the wiring plug and fuel line connection on the new pump match up with what you have in the car?

If it is the correct replacement design, you'll have to cut the ring out of the bottom of the tank. Ford made a special tool for it but you can do it without it. I used a razor blade.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,045 Posts
Alternately - if you have some time - you can get just the pump motor from Rock Auto and take your old sending unit apart and put the motor in and avoid cutting anything. Although the new sending unit design is better than the old one, and you already have it. But just making a note that there is that option (I've done it twice, LOL)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts