New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all,

I just joined and this is my first post. I am at my wit's end, and I think my mechanic is as well. I have a 2001 V6 (standard). Around mid August, I replaced my battery because it was dead, and a week later the fuel pump went out on it. I don't think those two issues are related, though.

I have since had it back in the shop 5 times counting yesterday. :banghead:

They have found the following issues on previous visits:

Loose wire at the fuse/relay box, needed a new relay (kept heating up and shutting off the fuel pump), loose wire at the fuel pump itself, loose wire under the rear seats, and now it has shut off again. They are going to try and replace the wiring now from the fuse/relay box all the way back to the fuel pump to see if that keeps it running. :mad:

Has anyone else had this problem? My mechanic has spent a lot of hours on the phone with the dealership, and said he was calling again first thing this morning. My car now has a name - Rascal. LOL I know electrical problems are usually notoriously hard to pin down, but sheesh!

Thanks bunches,

Lori

·
8,582 Posts
That's weird. It's enough to make me wonder if a previous owner was messing around with things he/she didn't understand. I don't recall seeing any posts from people with problems similar to yours.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, and thank you for the welcome.

When he took out the back seats last week to look at the wiring there (and found that problem), he did say he could tell someone had been in there before, but he said it appears that they did know what they were doing and it was probably a dealership.

I got the car when they were selling the leftovers, on 12/31/2001. It was a repo and only had 2,450 miles on it versus the only other car there, a demo with about 9,000 miles on it. I find it hard to believe that they had a fuel pump problem that quickly (back then), and I know no one has been in it since I bought the car.

This is so frustrating, so they are doing the wiring as a last resort. Would a bad fuel pump be shorting out the wires? Maybe the new pump is bad? Grrrrrr...

The good news is the mechanic isn't charging me every time I bring it back (except for 2 new relays), and GEICO will tow it for free with their Emergency Roadside Assistance plan.

I just wish it would be over with already - I'm afraid to drive anywhere long distance (the first time I had it towed back to VA from NC)!

Sparks are good, everything else has been checked, but no "whir" for the fuel pump. (shakes head). Sigh...

Thanks again!

Lori

·
8,582 Posts
That's frustrating. But for what it's worth this doesn't sound like a common problem, so hopefully it'll be fixed soon and you'll be good to go.

Where are you in VA?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey there!

Well, they did get it running again, and they are searching for a wiring harness. They are trying junkyards first, though. I asked if it might be the wiring harness 2 tows ago! :banghead:

In a way, I wish it was a more common problem, then they would have known how to fix it before! LOL I worry about the $$ this will cost, if any. On one hand, this didn't occur until they replaced the fuel pump, but on the other hand it technically is a different issue, no? If they see it as a different problem, then I'll have to pay for it.

I told them to take their time with it and work on it when they can, because I have borrowed a friend's grocery getter (minivan) for the time being. In not pushing them the last time they didn't charge a thing (that was the under the back seat discovery) but they did have it for a week.

I'm in the Shenandoah Valley, about 45 minutes from Harrisonburg and about a 1/2 hour from Charlottesville. Where is Bowie?

Lori

·
8,582 Posts
On one hand, this didn't occur until they replaced the fuel pump, but on the other hand it technically is a different issue, no? If they see it as a different problem, then I'll have to pay for it.
Yeah, it sounds like a separate issue. The fact that they're looking in junkyards for you is a good sign, though - they don't seem to want to charge you any more than they have to.

I'm in the Shenandoah Valley, about 45 minutes from Harrisonburg and about a 1/2 hour from Charlottesville. Where is Bowie?
Bowie is about 20 miles east of DC.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Um...have them put in a new fuel pump. That is the problem. Was it an Airtex pump?? If so get a dealership OEM pump for it and call it good, I have had 3 Airtex pumps be bad out of the box in the past week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.