New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, so I did a lot of research concerning short shifters for the '01 Couger. The best shifter appears to be the B&M shifter but it states that it is only for the 99-01 years. Will this work for the '01 cougar or do I have to settle for one of those Ralco RZ or Findanza ones? Anyone's input would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Awesome, that just made my day lol. Wonder why the sites say 99-00. I didn't think there was a difference in transmissions for those years. Also, does anyone know if any particular size of the Skunk II shift knob will fit the B&M or stock shifter? Again, thanks for the input. :biggrin:

·
Registered
474 Posts
im also wondering if anyone has tried the ebay short throw for our cars? i know most ebay stuff is junk but can u really screw up a shifter that bad? just curious...

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have an Ebay STS and I like it. My only complaint is it doesn't have the bend in the shifter like the stock one. So it's shorter, but still further away from the armrest than I'd like.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,415 Posts
if you want a shorter shifter like the B&M (since the B&M and any ebay knockoffs are just shorter shafts and dont actually change the distance from the pivot ball and the lower cable mount) save your money and cut the stock shifter down. if you want a true short throw shifter go with the CFM shifter, it has the shortest throw of any shifter available and has an adjustable height shaft (for sure works with the metal style shifter bases and should work with the plastic ones with some work as well).

·
Administrator
24,476 Posts
Daniel speaks the truth. The sawed-off stock shifter gives you the same effect as a B&M, only it feels a bit more direct.

The eBay shifters are fine in theory, but the fabrication is sketchy. The attachment on the bottom for the shift cable is held on precariously by a TINY little stud, which WILL break if you shift hard a few times. B&M uses a nicer design on the stud that holds up to more abuse, plus, IIRC, they have a guarantee on them as well.

If you want an eBay short shifter to last, run some extra weld around the stud to make sure it doesn't pull apart on you when you don't want it to.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,415 Posts
there has also been a few occurrences on CEG of people actually bending the part of the shaft below the pivot ball going to the mount for the lower cable on some of the Ebay shifters.:crazy:

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have the DPT one from ebay and it is good quality. The bottom part is welded on, not pressed, or held by a pin. The shaft is one piece, and feels stronger than the stock one, I don't know how anyone could bend the bottom part w/o a hydraulic press.

If you cut the stock one you don't get to keep reverse lockout correct? You also have to thread & cut it, meaning you have to have the tools to do so. I would have cut mine but I wanted to keep the reverse lockout.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,415 Posts
Correct, you loose the reverse lockout on the shifter bugs it not needed anyways (the cfm shifter also does not have it). There is a lockout built into the shift tower in the trans that forces you to go to neutral before you can get to reverse anyways.

Yes you would have to thread the cut portion of the shifter but a single die is much cheaper than a whole shifter. (with a little ingenuity you could probably keep the reverse lockout on a cut shifter anyways)

·
Administrator
24,476 Posts
You can buy shift knobs that attach to un-threaded shifters as well. They don't thread on, they are held on by a series of set screws.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,415 Posts
Is this the CFM STS you were talking about?

CFM Adjustable Short Throw Shifter and Lower Engine Torque Mount for '02-04 SVT/ST170 Focus - 2-0050 & 6-0010

And this will for sure fit the '01 Cougar? Thanks again for all the input. Helped a lot.
technically, but you dont need it with the torque mount. what shifter base do you have, metal or plastic? (take a look under the shifter boot and see if the housing for the shifter is either plastic or metal) if its metal it will work for sure, if its plastic you will have to figure out what it takes to make it clear (probably includes cutting out the plastic bottom of the housing and making a plate for the bottom of the car, or just swap in a metal base).

if you decide to go with the CFM shifter, when you go to order it, call them and talk to Hector and tell him you need it for the Contour.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right on. Yeah ill have to check to see if I have the metal housing. Thanks for the advice :biggrin:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts