New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup,

Hey guys I am new here, this is my first post so go easy on me, please. I just bought a 2001 Cougar off a guy that lives on my street. He said the head gasket was gone. So i figured I would have a look see, but it appears the head gasket is intact. I only paid $50 for the car, and it only has 88,000 kms on it. His son was caught street racing it. Now, are there common over heating issues with this car I should be aware of?. It is a 2001 2.5l v6. Some metallic blue color. I am going to start working on it on Saturday and was wondering where I should start first

My order of things was going to be Lines, Thermostat, water pump. Are there any common over heat issues I should also look at or check first?

Thanks in advance,

Skape

·
Administrator
24,346 Posts
Sounds like French Blue. Does it have blue gauge faces, too?

I would suspect the water pump. I believe if you turn on the heater, and the water pump is broken, the heater will blow cold air no matter what.

The water pump is a touchy subject on the Duratec 25, as it was a common failure on pre-98 Contours and Mystiques due to the plastic impeller breaking too easily. They later (MUCH later) went to a metal impeller that lasted much longer.

My car was getting too hot once, and in my case, it was the thermostat.

Your deductions seem sound. Keep us posted and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
a bad head gasket will cause a car to overheat as well. you cant see from the outside of the engine if the head gasket is good or not. you have to take the engine apart. it is NOT a job for a novice mechanic. you may have to pull the engine to get to the back head. ive never done them in this car. basically a part of the gasket gives way. if it is in the oil part is can burn or leak oil. if it is in the coolant part of the gasket it will allow combustion pressure into the coolant passages, spiking the heating needle.

·
5,250 Posts
Sounds like French Blue. Does it have blue gauge faces, too?

I would suspect the water pump. I believe if you turn on the heater, and the water pump is broken, the heater will blow cold air no matter what.

The water pump is a touchy subject on the Duratec 25, as it was a common failure on pre-98 Contours and Mystiques due to the plastic impeller breaking too easily. They later (MUCH later) went to a metal impeller that lasted much longer.

My car was getting too hot once, and in my case, it was the thermostat.

Your deductions seem sound. Keep us posted and enjoy the car.
All correct, including pump diagnostic with heater hint, except it's not a metal impeller - they switched from the crappy black plastic impeller to the much improved white plastic impeller. Metal impeller is aftermarket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sup,

I drained the oil, and it was clean of white. I also checked the coolant which is free of oil, so for the moment I am assuming the head gasket is alright. She isn't running white smoke either.

I think I will start with the water pump, it seems easy enough to get at. Thanks for the help thus far, I will keep you posted. She needs some minor body work, but nothing major. Radio was pulled too. I figured for $50 I couldn't pass it up, even with the minor dings and scratches.

Skape

·
Registered
295 Posts
50$, D4MN!!!!
Thats AMAZING I woulda bought any car for 50 let alone a coug!!! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sup,

To answer an earlier statement, I have a full shop. I am an amateur mechanic, but have been rebuilding cars since I was 13. I just installed a lift last summer and I have to tell you it was the best $1000 buck I spent. I Got it off of Kijiji. The motor was blown, so I bought one for $350. Needless to say after putting it all back together, it is the best "tool" in my garage. I am a big car guy. Even better my girlfriend gets right into it as well. It was hard finding coveralls in such a small size, but she can wrench a car every bit as well as I can. So really, she would be the best tool in my garage. Don't take the word "tool" out of context. lol

Skape

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It's NECO, we take everything out of context...

·
Registered
115 Posts
something relly simple and stupid sounding, but did you check the water pump belt. Mine came off last summer from old age.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Is it only an idle problem? Or does it do it all the time?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
easy way to test your thermostat would be to get the car warm and check the hose running to the thermostat. If its cold your thermo stat isn't opening. Get a stant or a stock one. Most other wills fail.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is a persistent problem that defy's all conventional thinking with these Cougars. . . that is: car is running cool and normally while driving on the open highway... once you hit a traffic backup, or you're waiting in line for 3-5 minutes. . . the temperate gauge will go all the way up to the red area.... as soon as you start moving again, it'll cool down (obviously because of fast air flow over the radiator). BUT!! as soon as you slow down again, temperature will raise dangerously high. You will replace the thermostat, and possibly houses, you'll think its the fan, but the fans seems to be working.

You may need to order this resistor: Part Number: F5RZ-8L603-AC It is a relay/resistor that controls the Fans. . .

IT IS CURRENTLYHAPPENING TO MY 1999 COUGAR AND IT'S MAKING ME CRAZY!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Update! I replaced the Fan Resistor but the problem was still there. Found out that if I give the dashboard a whack, the temperature needle goes back to the normal position. I'm thinking there's a wire loose behind the dash. I'll be checking into how to disassemble the dashboard this weekend.

NOTE: I posted pictures on how to replace the Fan Resistor. Check my posts. . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a persistent problem that defy's all conventional thinking with these Cougars. . . that is: car is running cool and normally while driving on the open highway... once you hit a traffic backup, or you're waiting in line for 3-5 minutes. . . the temperate gauge will go all the way up to the red area.... as soon as you start moving again, it'll cool down (obviously because of fast air flow over the radiator). BUT!! as soon as you slow down again, temperature will raise dangerously high. You will replace the thermostat, and possibly houses, you'll think its the fan, but the fans seems to be working.

You may need to order this resistor: Part Number: F5RZ-8L603-AC It is a relay/resistor that controls the Fans. . .

IT IS CURRENTLYHAPPENING TO MY 1999 COUGAR AND IT'S MAKING ME CRAZY!!!!
Me too..2001 2.5 L of coal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts