New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i have a 1999 Cougar V6 2497 ccm, MTX, LHD. The car does not crank on turn-key, as well as on ignition it does not prime the fuel lines (by ear). Putting the key into ignition makes the PATS Led stay on for approximately one minute and afterwards it blinks the code 2-1 (never flashing rapidly). The starter does crank, if it is shortened manually, but the car does not start (presumably no fuel). While on turnkey the dash background light goes off, but there is absolutely no voltage drop on multimeter, just a clicking sound is noticeable from i’d say somewhere around the glovebox lets say the front passenger area of the car. Anyone knows which relay this might be?

What i have done this far (as suggested elsewhere):

• exchanged starter relay
  • checked all fuses with multimeter in both fuse boxes, except for the JCASE fuses in the engine compartments box
  • disconnected battery (for days)
  • shortened the + battery connector of the car to the chassis for minutes (while not connected to battery of course)
  • left key on ignition for 15 minutes (hood open, driver door open)
  • locked car with key on driver door and holding the key in that position for 1 minute (hood open); in a second try this procedure was followed by unlocking the car with key afterwards and again holding the key in that position for 1 minute (hood open)

The symptoms make me think the PATS system might be the issue, but it might also have something to do with crash recognition (switch is ok) or something completely different.

Any ideas, how i could make sure it is or it is not PATS, what to do next in general, what might be the issue? But most importantly, how can i start the dang car :D ??

Thank you for reading.

Michael

EDIT: How can i reliably reset the PATS system on new edge cougars, (possibly it is stuck in any state of cutting power to the start process)?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Check for fuel at the fuel rail using the pressure bleeding valve first. But it sounds like the ignition switch has gone out. I got one on ebay for pretty cheap but still oem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you 1999mercv6, I'll keep that in mind. I digged deeper into the cars ecu and by now i think i should eliminate the B1213 in PATS first. As far as i understood the code means something like 'Less than two programmed keys used for ignition since last erase'. There are 2 keys programmed and adding new keys is disabled. Unfortunately I do only have one key so i took Forscan (ext. license) and tried to reprogram my key and a new one. Unfortunately i am stuck at Outcode/Incode for PATS since all Incodes as calculated by Forscan, online and offline tools do not work. I tried VINT-TT55502 and BB77102 adapters (both have a manual HS/MS-Can switch, the former is USB, the latter BT). I think Forscan or my adapters are not capable of reading the outcode correctly so the resulting incode will always be incorrect. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
I would go to FORSCAN tech support.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I tried, but cannot sign up because the site asks for an invitation code which i do not have. It is said this is because of the 'current situation'. Just for the record meanwhile i have also tried out the recommended Vlinker FS BT dongle. Did not work as well.

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Send them an email?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts