New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has challenged me to a race for 200 dollars. He has a 96 3.0L nissan maxima stock ATX. I have a 99 mercury cougar with the 2.5L SVT motor swap out, exhaust, MTX. Just curious to any thoughts on how the race will end.:confused:

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
can you drive well? if so then i would prorbably put my money on you

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah i can drive well, only thing is my car has a freakin governer that stops me at 115. but im thinking we are just going to run a straight quater mile. So i dunno, i just dont know what all the 3.0L maxima is capable of.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i can get everything out of the trunk except for the custom fiberglass box that was built inside of the trunk but i can get the 4 15's out but cant really do anything about the box :banghead:

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
DON'T reace with 4 15's in your trunk that is a good 150+ lbs...

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
You have 4 15's in the back of a Cougar? My gawd, those subs have got to be starving for air.

Also, you said you have done a motor swap, but yet you've still got a governer? Did you not custom tune the motor once it was installed?

Btw- The Maxima's are quick, so beware. Especially from a stand-still...

E1

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
i thought our governers were around the 140's i had mine at 135 mph thats the highest ive had it, and also if his car is stock then he has a governer too.

K

·
0 Posts
My first car was a 91 Nissan Maxima with a 3.0 with a 160 horsepower. It was alot quicker than my 99 cougar with 170 horsepower. I miss my Maxima. I'm gonna give my bet on the maxima.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
i'd say you. I raced a '99 ATX maxima with my ATX coug, with just an intake, and well, she beat me, but it wasn't that bad. You got a stick and SVT motor...no problem.

Mike

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
You would win with those mods, but do you really have them? What are you using as engine management? If you have nothing, your car is probably running like ass.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Yeah, i raced a 3.5 i think it was and got my butt kicked. I'm assuming he was also an atx though because he didn't pull on me till around 2nd. Seemed like he had the same powerband as me, it's just his motor was a lot bigger. Actually, it may have been an altima. Close enough.:shrug:

·
Registered
487 Posts
yah my aunt has a 96 maxima atx, and i didnt think it was any faster than my 99 coug w/ an intake and exhaust....it still had balls, but not the pull in 2nd and 3rd:shrug:

·
Registered
4,973 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well as for crazy beer guy im only going off what the guy t old me that sold the car. Maybe he is jerking my chain maybe not, cause theres not a cougar on this side of the imperial valley here in california that can out run me. thats even with my whole sub setup still inside the car. The car isnt running at its best either. Right now shes running lean, this friday im going to have the EGR valve REplaced. She stumbles a little during acceleration until around 4,000 RPM then off she goes. But as far as trying to lie about my mods come on ive been out of highschool for 4 freaking years and i left my immaturity there!!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
from a stop I beat my friends '97 (i think? series before the revision before the current one, judjing by taillights) atx stock maxima before, with intake, svt bits, ungutted stock manifolds, brullen y, and trubendz exhaust. He had 2 friends in the car and i had my friend in my car & my sub and misc crap in the trunk

I also beat an Acura 3.2TL on the hiway

1 - 20 of 26 Posts