New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to replace an oil pump in a 99 cougar, 2.5L. I'd like also to replace the main bearings on the crankshaft while I'm at it. Is it possible for me to lift the engine up enough and just remove the front clip to do this, with out completely removing the engine?????

Thanks!!

11,594 Posts
Why would you spend the time and energy on a car you think is junk?

· Super Moderator
25,479 Posts
to get the oil pump out you have to take the timing cover off, and possibly the oil to clear the crank.

as far as the main bearings, you could do it in the car, but it would be fun without removing the rod bearings as well. and with the way the flywheel bolts to the crank i dont know if you would even be able to do it

Is there any particular reason that you want to change the bearings?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL!!! Well it's my girlfriends car that's why I'm possibly willing to go through all of this. I'm a Chevy guy myself. As far as wanting to change the bearings, she was driving it and the oil light came on, it started knocking and she said it started to make a squealing sound. So this is leading me to believe its getting ready to go. I think it could still be salvagable just so we can sell the thing. But, I want to get as much info as possible to see if it's worth my time.
Anymore info is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

· Registered
3,182 Posts
you just described the most common issue in Cougars. Sounds like a rod bearing is going. if your lucky the crank is not damage and you can just replace it. Your best bet is to pull the motor. I had to get the front cover off when i pull the rear head in car, and it is more difficult and labour intense doing it in car then out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts