New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is some information I have a 2000 2.5L v6,svt uim,svt lim,svt throttle body,24# injectors,pauter connecting rods: ported,polisheds heads,unshrouded valves, and 3L valves,I am also going with 12.0-1 compression pistons.

So with that information what does everyone think I should go with as far as cams stage 3 or stage 4?

thanks
Justin

P.s. I am also thinking about running a 150-200 hp shot of nitrous

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Stage 3 cams with a 75-100 shot of N2O with a progressive controller would bet wonderful gains.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i was going to run a 50-75 shot into the intake pipe but i was wanting to run a 200 shot direct port

also why do you say stage 3 do you have any experience with them

·
Registered
728 Posts
i say stage 2 cams or wait on massiv's report on the cams with different combinations between stage 1 and 2.

with the stage 3 and 4's high duration it might have too high of a power band, ur gonna have to find a way to get rid of the rev limiter. but if you wanna be the 1st one i'd applaud you and would like to see what happens.

·
Registered
728 Posts
well theres a bunch of unknowns with the cams of what would happen, and the difference in power between each stage. its still new.

they all have increased lift over stock and svt cams. plus with ur high compression pistons you wouldnt know if the valves will even clear the pistons with any of the cams, stage 1-5.

id go stage 3 myself but theres still the hassle of extending or taking out the rev limiter. you can get an svt ecu xgt1 with a tweecer and fully tune it yourself. you can just get rid of the limiter this way. ur gonna need the ability to fully tune anway by the sounds of what you are trying to accomplish.

if you have the time to wait, then you can wait on massiv's write up on the cams.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have until the end of march that is when I am getting all of the head work done.Then after I get all of the head work done I am going to be sending my heads to get a set custom pistons made for the compression ratio I desire.

·
Registered
728 Posts
well it sounds like money aint a thing, and you have no limits on this project. bring ur head worker and piston maker the specs of the cams, and let them build around the specific stage that you want.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thats what I was planning on doing but I was mostly asking in reference to the fact that this is going to be my daily driver and I have heard that you can have to much cam

·
Registered
558 Posts
12:1 CR, 200hp shot, and the highest stage cams they offer...and its ur daily driver?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The nitrous will be used only at the track. Also I didnt say the highest stage they offer I said 3 or 4 they offer up to a stage 5. Where as 12:1 I dont think is to high I was actually considering 13.5:1 but then decided that it would to much heat for the aluminum heads

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also I forgot to add that due to my work I drive a different vehicle through the week and my ***** is mostly driven on the weekends or to run errands throughout the week.It is my only leisure transportation.

·
Registered
674 Posts
12:1 Cr on 93 octane is streetable with lots of fuel tuning.....if you do not do the fuel upgrades your SOL.

As far as your cam question, do you want it to be streetable? Since the cougar was blessed with out VVTLEC also known as Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control the hotter the cams the worse the idle and low end tq.....we should know this already though. If this is strictly a track car then I would go with something nice and hot, unless you don't care about low end torque and idling.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually the compression ratio with the nitrous will not be the problem as long as the timing and the air/fuel ratio are tuned right, this has been thought out by my mechanic and I. I have also discussed this with the company that is doing my pistons they have a special heat treatment process and they also use a different alloy for the pistons.

I was only wondering what cam would give me the most power but keep a decent amount of low end torque, also I dont want anything that is going to make the car have a very rough idle.

thanks
Justin

·
Registered
674 Posts
Where are you redlining? I'm assuming you're building the engine well...balancing, decking, honing, torque plate honing, maybe knife edging....I would say stage 3 cams, unless you wanted more of your power lower then go with stage 2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts