New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, it's time to address my 1999 2.5 MTX's alternator because now as it revs up over 2500rpm the voltage will drop. It charges 13v at 750rpm no problem but holding the tach at 4k the terminals read 14v and steadily drops down to 12.5v, doesn't pay to do much more testing because my alternator and/or regulator on it is done.

Question is which alternator should I get? I've had many Contours in the past and have done one or two alternator jobs on the V6, I also know that replacements & remans can be risky. In the interest of keeping this car for as long as possible what does everyone recommend for alternators? I haven't had to do one in about 5 years, hoping new/reman alternators are better now lol

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Something with a warranty.
Don't get a reman, those are garbage. That would be okay on a car where the alt is easily accessible, but not on ours.

Reactions: The 1982 EXPert

·
Registered
2000 cougar 2.5l v6
16 Posts
Funny you post this the day after my alternator dies in my 2000 2.5. I'm lookin to upgrade to something that puts out more power than the 130amp, just like you I am looking for any recommendations or help from anyone who has already had the issue.

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's pretty common with how old these are now, 5 years ago I was finding Contours left & right with bad ones so ours are just due :/ Shouldn't need more than 130amp unless you have an extensive sound system, I've tweaked the stereo in every car I owned without having to switch alternators, if I need that much more power for my jams I won't be able to hear without being blocks away from my car lol

Reactions: banana_rama_

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Convert to 2001-2002 Cougar aka 2001-2003 escape/mpv.

Easier to change, more reliable. Cheaper. . Have to wire it up, but so worth it. 10/10 best mod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts