New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help on my Daughters 35th anniversary edition. 2.5 with auto. She has mentioned to me that about once a week or so the car feels like its jerking or missing. I was not able to duplicate the problem until a couple of weeks ago. She went out of town and I drove it for a week or so and sure enough I happened to me. Didn't do it very often but when it started, it jerked or missed for a couple of min. It felt to me like a cylinder was not firing. I suspected the plug or wire. I purchased a new set of wires - the motor-craft OEM stuff and pulled all the plugs (new about a year ago)and checked them. None of the plugs were fouled or looked different then the others. Didn't fix the problem, Next, I replaced the coil pack with one that i had that i new was good. Still no fix, Sunday I worked the 3 big plugs by the power steering pump, pulled them apart put them together with some electrical silicon and made sure they made contact. She still has my pickup and I drove it this afternoon and sure enough still feels like its missing a fire on one of the cylinders. Seems to be worst at about 45 mph, Starting to think it might be a fuel system problem- pump has not been replaced, but the filter was. What confuses me is that it idles clean and consent, from a cold start to a hot start, Fuel tank is full, when its not messing up I can cruse on the highway at 80 with no problem. I can not make it screw up no matter what I try but it does it about once every 3 or 4 days and then for about 10 min or so. What do you think is next. I'm ready to pull the UIM off and check the connection to each fuel injector and maybe the injectors themselves and also look for a gasket leak on it or the LIM. Help!

·
So its begun.....
16,832 Posts
Check he computer for any residual codes? It should tell you what cylinder is doing it or if there is a generic misfire. Does it feel like its down on power? And you verified they were all placed correctly? Generic questions because we've all missed in something sometime :)

·
Administrator
24,212 Posts
Very easy to get 2 of the plug wires crossed; I've done it myself. Check and double-check the routing against the numbers on the coil pack.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I'll start by looking for computer codes. I drove about 20 miles today - didn't miss a once. Not down on power so I think I can rule out miss-wired plug wires, but it could be a "seating" problem. I have run through a couple of bottles of seafoam in the tank and we gone through multiple tanks of gas. I picked up a nice fuel pressure gauge that you can connect to the Schroeder valve on the fuel line-you can screw it on an leave it for awhile, probably try that this weekend -to damn cold again tonight. 7 degrees last night! Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post again in a few days with an update...hopefully with a fix!

·
Registered
313 Posts
When it misfires under what conditions does it do it? Is it lugging and heavy load, higher rpm, just all the time, etc?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I had an 02 Hyundai, back in the day, that would randomly start to misfire, at any time. and I mean ANY time. I once changed plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc, all in one go, and figured 'that's it, it's fixed!' and it was, for three weeks, until it stumbled, just a second or two, while cruising on a country road. totally out of nowhere, and left just as quickly and randomly as it came. WTF?!

I just let it be until I was downtown two hours away, and all of a sudden cylinder 2 and 4 flat out quit.

Oops, coil.

I figured that out years later when I gave it some thought. the car was long gone. I just plain hadn't checked it. I should have.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It warmed up today so I got out the code reader- and not a single code. Right after I started it I was backing out of the drive and it starting missing. I drove a mile or two and it was definitely missing, I stopped in a parking lot and set the parking brake and held down the front break and in drive at about 2500 RPM it was missing like a SOB... felt just like a coil or an arcing plug or something electrical. I mentioned that I changed the wires and the coil pack and removed each and every plug- but I drove it back home and of course in the drive way, I could not get it to do it again! Did the same thing with the brakes and rev'd it up and it was pullling like it should with no missing. So I headed over to my shop because I thought I had another coil on an engine that was in the yard- found it but it is for a 99. It looked like it was in good shape and so were the wires so I clipped the Plug off the old harness and changed out the complete system. Oh yea, the 01/02 only has 3 mounting holes so this will probably be just a temp fix to see if it takes care of the problem. Cleaned up the wires and mounted the coil with 2 bolts and ran the ground to the coil with another bolt. It started and ran fine, but I ran out of time for a proper test drive, Maybe tomorrow but they are calling for snow.. so ready for Spring!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
problem was still not fixed missing again after about 4 days. ordered the correct year coil pack and plugs.... Replaced the Plug wires and he coil pack again but this time with new ones not "recycled" ones. Purrin' like the cat she should be now. But time will tell, if I can go 3 weeks without a misfire, that then we will call it good.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
think i can call this on fixed... yep it was took a new coil and wire set. Not positive which but think it was the coil. Moral... do not use a salvage coil or wires... not worth it. Got a good set of original new old stock wires for $55 and the coil was $35 on eBay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts