New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Obviously I put this qquesiton in the wrong section, it got moved and people feel its necessary that instead of informing its more fun to bash away. don't worry about the question. I'll just do my own research.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Max extrude honed UIM $500
Optimized TB $2
Split-port 3L $3500
Tune $500
good luck with getting any real answers here. Does the engine only have to look stock from above? Headers?

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
You're building a 2.5L? Want some PnP heads? If so, PM me, these things will make your car FLY.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
OK, this may be in the wrong forum section, who knows. if it is plz feel free to move.

I am picking up my 99 2.5 MTX on the 20th. I have until feb/mar to work on it.

Heres the rules to my fun game for everybody that has modded there motor.

1)motor must look stock
2)please include parts I would need to buy/find and approx cost if known.
3)rate level of eas on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest
4)how much added HP/Torque will it give.

Ok thats all the rules. The end result will be put into a race car racing on a 3/10 mile asphalt oval track. take off from 0 isn't as important as take off from about 25MPH.

Have fun and thanks in advance for the helpful advice. If NECO wants to send me a logo I'll stick it on the car. If any business people in ohio want to sponsor PM Me.

THanks again in advance
did you miss the stickies above, the tons of post in here that ask these questions, or the search button that leads you to answers? :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
You're building a 2.5L? Want some PnP heads? If so, PM me, these things will make your car FLY.
yeah especially after you spend another $300 on them because the valve guides are going to have to be replaced because of the bent valves in them and they will have to be completely stripped down and hot tanked to remove all the bearing material out of them from your broken engine.

Who is trying to rip people off?`

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I figured between the all the people on here there would be people that have done upgrades and already know.

Yes I'm trying to build up a 2.5L because thats the rules I have to follow. I cant put in a 3L because the car didn't come with a 3L in it. The car must remain stock. If I put a bigger engine in that is not stock and my car is then not legal to race.

I didn't realize I was asking a horrible question. Ill just delete my post and do the searching myself. I thought that whole point of forums, especially car related ones, were to pick peoples brains of what has already been tried and failed, or succeeded. SIlly me for thinking I would get any real responses.

And yes I did search the forums for SVT Cam Upgrade and found nothing except "make sure you get somebody that has done it" "it's very technical" nothing in the actual information stage. and If I'm not mistaken, there are 2.5L out there with svt upgrades on them.

This post was also moved from the lounge to here. No I didn't look at the stickies. I did however utilize search.

It has to look stock from all sides. Headers are a grey area with the rules. THe rules over the winter are getting more specific according to the track owner when I talked to him tonight. OEM parts are allowed, NOT OEM parts labeled as performance, And not necessarily OEM parts made for a cougar. it can be OEM parts that can be "adjusted" to work on the cougar.

·
Administrator
15,570 Posts
You can rebuild a 2.5 with all new internals, if the rules and your wallet allow it. Higher compression pistons would give you more power. Add SVT cams, SVT or extrude honed UIM, SVT TB, headers, lightened flywheel, etc....I'm not familiar with the rules so I'm not sure what to suggest to you.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You can rebuild a 2.5 with all new internals, if the rules and your wallet allow it. Higher compression pistons would give you more power. Add SVT cams, SVT or extrude honed UIM, SVT TB, headers, lightened flywheel, etc....I'm not familiar with the rules so I'm not sure what to suggest to you.
aww, how nice of you wade.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
if you were able to get us the full rules we can help you set it up. bigballedox bought cams from leo capaldi...he used to race cougars in scca.....what leage are u racing.......the rules will help out a lot man.......

all of what wade said she be under stock parts.....

here is a good site mumm brothers racing cougar

capaldi racing

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks wade and Ford. I knew I def wanted to do the SVT Upgrades I'm just not sure what ones will keep the vehicle engine looking stock from the outside.

I also am thinking of going with a Mustang 65MM TB. the physical look of on compared to mine aren't THAT noticeable and I'll keep the stock one in case they something and then swap it out for an SVT if I have to. I think I can get eh 65MM one to pass inspection.

When I talked to the owner about the car he was very specific in not allowing coilovers, but Mcppherson shocks(I think thats the name) are legal and tehy come in 3 levels, not including there competition level.

The guy doing my engine work is going to (ok not technical words her) where the header gaskets go the gasket hole is bigger than the actual eninge hole so hes going to shave them out or whatever to make them bigger and allow more airflow. THe more sponsors I get obviously the more I'm willing to spend on the car. SO the way I'm looking at upgrades are cost to added horsepower. If something it 20 bucks and adds 2 HP and something is 70 and adds 5 I'll take the 20 dollar improvement. If its 200 and adds 20HP and some Torque, Ill pay the 200. SO kinda an economic thing also.

And since I do want to do the SVT upgrades I have found the threads about the SVT light, mod, heavy upgrade but is there somewhere that has the instructions on how to do these? I'm not mechanically inclined, my car guy is an ASE certified mechanic working for TRC on there prototype cars. SO he has lots of ideas, alot of them not legal for my division. But if I can get a list of instructions he can do the work and me learn along the way.

heres a link to the rules.
Shadybowl Speedway
I am going with a full roll cage instead of a 4-point, I am also adding a steel bar reinforcement around the engine as best as I can to protect it. So I will be taking a hit on weight. Hopefully the weight I lose from gutting it will be enough to compensate for the weight I'm adding to protect me and my car.
The winning cars are a ford Probe, a honda prelude, and a Chevy beretta.

Shadybowl Speedway (those are the general track rules.)

SOrry I got all **sy, I was just looking for some suggestions and got welcomed with a did you read the FAQ and stuff. I didnt read it because I didn't even think of posting it here. I did do searches though.

So my apologies and tons of thanks for whoever is offering the useful information. If anybody has any of the parts,I am keeping my eyes and ears open, however since I just spent 800 on the car, spending more on the upgraes will have to wait till after christmas.

thanks again

·
Administrator
15,570 Posts
How stock looking does it have to be? The reason I ask is that the SVT upper intake is black, and our stock one is not. To take care of that, you could have a stock one extrude honed out, and it would end up flowing better than an SVT anyway.

·
Registered
164 Posts
well, my suggestion is that you not waste time or money on minor engine improvements when you will win or loose with setup...doesn't mater how much power you put out if the car won't turn...and you'll be doing a lot of that on a 3/10 mile track...

just my .02

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wadespencer
How stock looking does it have to be? The reason I ask is that the SVT upper intake is black, and our stock one is not. To take care of that, you could have a stock one extrude honed out, and it would end up flowing better than an SVT anyway.
With the teching at the race track I will be at, close will count. As for honing out the current TB. THAT is a great Idea, 0 dollars, still stock, easy to accomplish. Love the idea and def going that route. one question with that though, I thought that the cougar stock TB had something programmed that only allowed a certain take off speed? I could be completely wrong.

Rikenbomb
There's lots to do depending on your budget like others have said
I'm open to all suggestions, this is the first year this class had a payout and it was 1,000 for a first and they had 2 1,000 to win races and 3 $500 to win races. the rest of the season you race for no money. I don't want to put 3 or 4G into the car so the cheaper the upgrade the better.
My big concern is HP and takeoff speed from 25-35MPH. Becauseit is a 3/10 of a mile track the compacts hit about 75MPH in the straight, slam the breaks to about 35-40ish in the turns back on the gas for the straight. so acceleration beats top speed since I'll never break 85MPH. SO mods that give the acceleration a boost are alot more important.

waldick
well, my suggestion is that you not waste time or money on minor engine improvements when you will win or loose with setup...doesn't mater how much power you put out if the car won't turn...and you'll be doing a lot of that on a 3/10 mile track...
The setup is the trickiest part. Coilovers are illegal, camber isn't "against" the rules, but it isn't IN the rules. toe on back tires isn't "against" the rules either. The guy doing my work, crew chief basically but hes my whole crew. LOL. Is planning on getting level 3 McPherson struts, he can get for real cheap with his commercial account. There still OEM Stock replacements and there not performance level. "Performance/street racing" upgrades are illegal.

SO basically for the setup side we're putting Camber, we're going to test the car with the rear wheels toed out so instead of pulling through the turn the back is already always turning left, if that makes sense.

For anybody close enough, once I get the car built and setup, I am planning on renting the track for about 2 or 3 hours to test it and tweak it at the track when nobody else is there to see what I'm doing. This is my first year racing and I don't plan on just showing up and making laps. Every racer I ahve talked to keeps telling, "don't plan on winning your first year" I don't, I plan on winning my first month. LOL Whats the point in racing if you're not planning on winning? SO when I rent the track for those interested I'll post and you're more than welcome to watch and toss ideas at my crew chief.

In my mind I have my budget for upgrades set at $1,000. but My mind and my wifes mind might not be thinking the same. LOL

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
if you want an svt contour engine to look stock take the stock cougar uim and get it dual honed and then use the stock cougar silver valve covers, and it will look like a stock cougar v6

1 - 20 of 23 Posts