New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering about my engine swap. should i use PnP/3 angle valve job 3.0l heads with svt cams or PnP/3 angle valve jobs 2.5l SVT heads

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Depends what you want?

2.5L heads will yeild more HP and CR. 3.0L Heads will yeild less HP and CR, but will be more suited for running boost.

If you plan on using SVT cams in your 3.0L heads, you will need 2001+ 3.0L heads, anything previous will not have accomocation for a cam driven water pump.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Actually you can use the SVT cams with the 99 style heads, just cut off the waterpump drive and use an electric waterpump system.

Rick

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: Buckshot77
Actually you can use the SVT cams with the 99 style heads, just cut off the waterpump drive and use an electric waterpump system.

Rick
Yeah, I was going to mention that, but it requires bastardizing rare SVT cams, something I would not be able to to :(

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I did it! Chopped that pulley right off! Thankfully the new owner will be able to retain them and enjoy them :)

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Yup, and enjoy them I shall. =)

E1

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by: Buckshot77

Rick
Yeah but isn't it a pain to get the electric waterpump working correctly (fabricating pieces and stuff)? Plus the whole taking forever to warm up your engine problem. Then again if you're gonna make a hybrid I guess you're not too worried about having to go the extra mile.

S

·
0 Posts
Plus, the electric one should free up 3 to 5 hp (take care of that parasite ;) ).

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I recommend using a Full 2001+ Oval Port 3L with the split port manifolds. (Escape preferred)

Depending on the head porting, piston size, and mild head milling you could run compression ratios from 9.5 to 10.4 to 1

The tumble port heads flow well out of the box and already have the valves installed (saves a bunch on machine work) Add in liberal porting on the exhaust side and good flow dynamic thinking on the intake side and you have a set of great performing heads for very little money.

I won't lie to you. Porting Duratec heads is very tedious and meticulous work; not to mention extremely time consuming.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I won't lie to you. Porting Duratec heads is very tedious and meticulous work; not to mention extremely time consuming.
No kidding. I think I have 14+ hours into just one 2.5L head, and I havent even started on the comb. chamber or bowl work. With a set of 2.5L and 3.0L ('99 I believe) heads sitting next to each other it appears that the 3.0 would flow better with less work. The exhaust ports of both heads, in stock form leave something to be desired. I will probably end up porting/polishing both sets of heads, just to see what is possible with the 3.0 as im using 2.5 heads on my project. These will not be flow benched though, so there may very well be inconsistencies in flow between ports. So if anyone wants a set of 99? port/polished bare heads hit me up with a PM. :biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts