New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
so if ford says its a 2 hour job that probably means we could do it in an hour. also how much does ford charge for this job? (including the alternater)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
My alternator died right in front of a Mercury dealership a few weeks back (coincidence? hmmmm), I didn't want the trouble of shopping around and not have a car so I just got it fixed right there and of course I got ripped off, they charged me ~$280 for the alternator and ~$300 for labor. ARRRGH but I guess I didn't have a choice.

Mastamoon just had it done, under warranty, but if he was to pay it would've cost him about $470 at the dealership he went to.

Both of the dealerships I mentioned are in NJ.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i paid $125 for the labor and $145 for the alternator after the core return

There is no way to do that job in 1 hour. you almost need to posess telekinesis to get to the bolts on this thing. The alternator sits back against the firewall and you can't even really see it from the top. The mechanic that did my car was pretty good and he had done several before mine including a contour the day before. It took him just under 2 hrs and I was in the garage the whole time helping out

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Dammit I should have wound mine up while it was out of the car, I thought it was very easy to pull out so I didn't worry about it. Thanks for the how to craig!

·
Registered
186 Posts
i had mine done. i paid 240 for the alternator at the deal and took it to a local shop and he charged me 30 bucks. i guess i got the hook up.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yeah, the guy that did mine said it was a HUGE pain in the @ss to replace........they had my car on the lift for over 4 hours....I was not happy......I was sitting there the whooooooole time :disgust:

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Telekineses to remove the bolts.

I can't find PuckPuck's 6-pack alternator replacement how-to anymore but I know it was easier than the way the Ford CD suggests.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes unless you posess the power to shrink matter and then bring it back to full size once the alternator is out of the car. That is the area it must come out through. The tie rod only takes about a minute with the right tool though. The other 3 bolts suck badly :disgust:

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Someone has to direct PuckPuck to this thread, because he's replaced alternators from underneath the car without removing any major suspension components at all. :) Plus the Ford CD doesn't tell you about the 6 pack of beer required for replacement...

:cover: :beer:

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
tie rod is 1 15mm bolt and that's it... comes right out... no special tool needed... if it doesn't pop out bang it with a hammer and it will come out...

besdies that it's just reaching the alternator bolts, a u-joint and numerous extensions can go a long way.....

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
yes DO NOT forget the beer...

btw: in less than 2 hours i had the entire timing cover off, while the engine was inside the car..... reinstallatino was about 1.5 hours for the timing cover.... and this requires the alternator to come out as well as bunch of other stuff.... today i can prolly swap alternators in less than 1 hour....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts