New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am definately planning on having two twelves in about a month but I was wondering what it would sound like if I added 2 8's. all subs would be mtx6000's with correct wattage mtx amps. I would be using separate sealed boxes for the 8's and one box for the 2 12's. I was just wondering if this has potential to sound good or will it sound really horrible? If space permits Id liek it to be 8 12 12 8 in back of trunk. I like deep bass thats why I went with 12's but I wouldnt mind some really crisp bass to add to it. Anyone have experience or any opinions on this setup?

Thanks,
Matt

G

·
Here's the deal -- just adding two 8" subwoofers to your existing two 12" subwoofers will not give you "crisp bass". If you run all of these speakers off of the same amplifier, with no difference in the frequencies you are sending them, and with all of the subwoofers in the same enclosure, you will still have nothing but muddy, boomy bass.

What you describe as "crisp bass" can be found without those smaller subwoofers, but only if your midrange/midbass speakers can play down to around 100Hz and do so at the same sound level that your 12" subwoofers are playing from 100Hz down to 20Hz. Most people don't have midrange/midbass speakers that can do this, because most people aren't spending the money for speakers capable of doing it or they don't have their speakers set up correctly to do it.

Whether you add the 8" subwoofers or not, you need to ensure that your crossover points are set appropriately (frequency AND slope), that you don't have any phase issues between drivers, that your gain settings between different amplifiers powering these sets of drivers are matched and that each of these sets of drivers have the horsepower to keep up with one another (you wouldn't want your midrange drivers to start bottoming out from too much excursion when you're only halfway up on the volume dial and your midbass drivers and subwoofers are begging for more).

Easy answer, if you really want to add the 8" subwoofers is to get an electronic crossover that will allow you to separate the bass frequencies running to the 8's and 12's. Send everything from 20Hz up to 80Hz to the 12's and everything from 80Hz up to 160Hz to the 8's. You can build a subwoofer enclosure that has the 8's on either side of the 12's, but PLEASE put the 8's in separate airspace from the 12's or you will just end up with poor sound due to loss in output and sensitivity. While you're at all of this, hopefully you will have a way to enable a high-pass filter at 160Hz (to match the band-pass on your 8" subwoofers) for your mids & highs.

Good luck.

P.S. Don't PM me. I don't log in except to post messages, so it could be weeks or months before I realize I have a PM waiting. Just email me if this didn't make any sense and you need more explanation.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
2 12"s for bass and 2 8"s for everything else. THAT sounds amazing. This kid at work has a similar setup. Get an amp for each pair and you're set!

Mike

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know Keane's email address?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.