New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I gradually slip into the world of "need for control over ECU/PCM," I find that I have more questions than answers. So naturally I feel right at home. :)

So, I know there are those of you running MSD DIS-2 to control ignition, and running eManage to control fuel maps. And there are still others running dedicated burn chips specific to your cars.

So what's the best for overall control of your engine? I don't know much about tweaking myself, so I'm kind of scared I'll F*#K something up and blow my pistons through the hood of my car. I'd like the control that comes from in car intervention, but I also want to pull the speed and maybe the rev limiters.

I also want full functionality of the ECU/PCM. You know I've been told that some of the aftermarket stand alones don't have input/output for all the functions of your car, and you end up having to "mask" a lot of warning lights and codes.

Can you run something like an aftermarket piggyback AND a chip to pull the rev/speed limiter? Or get a chip burned to just pull the rev & speed limits and use external controllers for everything else?

Just curious...

·
Registered
597 Posts
I would say the best place to start is to understand the various functions of the PCM and how those functions are controlled.

This link to "Technical notes on the EEC-IV MCU" is a very comprehesive piece of work on PCM operations. Our cars use the EEC-V PCM (next generation) but it is very similar to the EEC-IV PCM. The electronic control functions, sensors, input and output signals are the same..........although the maps and data table locations may be different within the PCM.

Enjoy the reading..................

Technical Notes on Ford PCM

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the link. The doctors say I can leave the hospital after I have quit showing symptoms of "post traumatic stress disorder" and stop the uncontrolable twitching. :banghead:

:whew:

It'll take five or six readings - and lots of :beer: - before I can even start to assimilate all that stuff. :confused:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yeah....it is quite a bit of information............:biggrin: I quickly read through the entire document the first time through, then I went over more slowly..........covering each section at a time.

Once you have a basic idea....then you'll just really use it as reference material for specific information.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Look into the SCT software. It's supposedly the most user friendly tuning software yet made. I believe StreetFlight is a distributor of that software.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's official - engine tuning for my project will be provided by SCT and their new software...

Look for a special thread to follow when I get it installed and running.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Give us lots of details when you get it.

Good job, and good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes..........lot's of details.........:thumbsup:
I may eventually go the SCT route also..........so keep us informed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts