New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Its the configuration of the car thats more the problem then the engine......its the same engine for the most part :wiggle:

were talking proximity to the firewall, hood clearance, all the plumbing from the header down etc.....thats your problem, not the engine.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It wouldn't make putting a turbo easier, though I'll know for sure in a month or two when my Dad turbo's his Focus. Foci have EGR, we have VCT. The VCT actually makes doing a turbo slightly easier for the Cougar. And it's easier to get rid of VCT than it is to getrid of EGR, IMHO. Though you still have to go through the hassle of a custom chip to get rid of the codes you'd bring up by removing the hardware. I also think that since we have VCT our exhaust cam is slightly better and would see better gains with tuned cam gears than with a Focus, but don't quote me on that.

It's not worth it to do a swap cause even though internally they are basically the same, externally they have just enough differences to make a direct swap very difficult.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Porting the cylinder head will make no more power on a turbo car. The only thing it will do is lower the pressure ratio that you have to have to make the same power. So basically you can run less boost to make the same power. If you max out a turbo on its compressor map and lets say that you are running 15lbs of boost to do so. Then you port the head. You won't make any more power but to make the same power you will only have to run lets say 10 lbs of boost. Thats just the way a turbo works. Now on a supercharged or nitrous or just N/A car. The head work will make big gains. just my .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.