New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have called about 100 used car parts places and I can not seem to find the shifter cable for my cougar 2.0 99 MT Cougar shift cables date 07/20/98

If anyone knows where to find them or similar cars that would be great.

thank you

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
What’s broken? Is it just the ends? Those are pretty simple to replace. Obviously you can’t get new parts, but you can get cable ends from a Focus in a yard, and take the shift tower too, and have a nice little upgrade on the cheap.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well initially the small fitting broke on one of the cable so the mechanic ended cutting both cable and replaced with it with aftermarket ones that only lasted two days now I am looking for the whole two cables

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
I see. That's too bad - as you know, they are hard to find.

A salvage part is about all you can do at this point. Ebay is a valid source as well.

The Cougar and first-generation Focus have very similar parts. I upgraded my transaxle with a shift tower and cable ends from a Focus, but I kept my Cougar cables because I'm not sure the cables themselves are compatible between the two. But if you have a local salvage yard where you can take a first-hand look, it would certainly be worth checking.

The Cougar tower has pins where the cables attach to it; the Focus tower has "buttons" that they snap onto. So the cable ends need to match the tower, but both are interchangeable. NOTE: you will need to double-check the wiring pigtail for the reverse lights connection to make sure yours are the same; I had to splice the Focus pigtail onto my harness, but that's an easy one.

Heck, since you have a 2.0, you may already have the Focus parts; I really don't know for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts