New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I can see how you were mistaken, he is from west virginia.

The cougar will win over the ATX. I think it would even win over the MTX GT but it would probably be a drivers race.

·
Registered
540 Posts
well i have a 99 cougar v6mtx and my friend garret has a tiburon GT v6 6speed and my car will eat it off the start and up untill about 100 then his car slowely passes me so his tiburon would take the cougar in a long race but in short races i usually beat him

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Tibbi has it. I believe it is a 2.7L for the power plant which is very close to the same power as us. 173. they have about 8-10 more torque than use. but there gears are freaking great. when you say auto. those came with thre triptronic tranny. all you have to do is bump it down to first and floor it that thing will shift everytime at lik 6000 grand. break the wheels loose popping in 2nd gear alot easier than a stock cougar MTX

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I don't have problems with them, but my cougar isn't nessisarly stock either.

I would say drivers race tho, on paper:

2002 Hyundai Tiburon GT V-6 7.1 15.6
1999 Mercury Cougar 7.7 16.0
0-60 and 1/4 mile times for Factory Stock Vehicles

Also it depends on how well your sister can race, if her launch consists of taking her foot off the break and onto the gas, you will win, assuming you can launch your car.

"The biggest change to the Tiburon is the addition of an optional V-6—a 181-hp, 2.7-liter DOHC engine"-Car and Driver

Her car is also a 4-speed, but I would still say drivers race.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Didn't mean anything by it, took me a long time to learn how to properly launch my car, it was my first MTX, and most girls I know don't really know how to launch their atx's properly. If your sister falls in this catagory she will lose for sure.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Her Tib is niiiice. I'm gettin intake for my cougar. I just spent $230 for a K&N intake. That will give me better MPGs and 8-10 more HP. OH AND DONT FORGET...THE TIB OUTWEIGHS THE COUGAR,probably not enough to make a diffrence though..

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
8-10 more HP
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Make sure to put the K&N decal on so you get 10, not 8, horsepower.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Idk but i would think you'd have a pretty good chance of a win. With my car and the svt medium upgrade i beat my friend in his tibby(gt v-6 manual, good driver) from start to finish(1/4 mile) by about .4 seconds. Keep in mind i have an atx and alot more mods then you but idk, i would think a win is possible for you. I have about 155-160whp, 190crank or so i guess with a 20% drivetrain loss.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
My run was one of my only races from a roll (30mph), he gave me a grin and pinned it (started a car back i think) and wheeled him in and got a head and shut it down (we were going close to 100) I had SRI/E and a pully.

If you want the full stoy (closer to when it happened) click---> Black betty vs Tib

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.