New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 cougar 2.5 v6 with a blown head gasket, i was told it was the front bank, due to time and budget my dad says we are only going to replace the blown head gasket, i have been all over the internet trying to figure what head gasket typically blows on this engine, my dad says that with this engine due to some fault the front one usually goes bad but not the back one, i dont want to fix the front one only for the back one to go out in a few months or years, but i also am not a fan of pulling out the engine to work on it

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't know if the front one typically blows but I do know that my front head gasket went on me and i replaced it engine in the car

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
You can get the front head off without taking the engine out. It would prolly take a day or so though.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Do a compression check and see what head it is for sure. Head gaskets aren't "known" for going on the car for no reason. The reason the head would warp is if your water pump went bad and then it over heated.

Either way do a compression check and that will give you a definative answer.
Pulling the head in car is possible, i did it on my own myself. Just take your time and be patient, be prepared to have sore knuckles and bruises.

The hardest part of the job is getting the front cover off in car and also making sure you do the tqing sequence correct.

The next best thing to make sure you do is keep track of ALL your bolts and pieces, it makes reassembly much easier.

you are going to need a decent bit of tools also, its not a cheap job.
you will need 2 different tq wrench (one that reads ft/lbs, one that read in/lbs)
Harmonic balancer removal tool
full tq wrench w/ various attachments
rtv gasket maker
jack + stands
Motor build manual (located in the stickies above)
haines manual
There is probably more that i can not think of right now.
Also you will need to get the head checked when you pull it as there is a good chance it is warped and needs machining

The job takes longer but is 40 billion times easier with the motor out of the car.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the info, my dad has done head gaskets many times before i havent but hes going to help me out, im planing on having the head checked out at a machine shop, and i think we have just about all the tools we need and the manual for the car, we also have a very large garage to work on it in with lots of room to set parts on, i have got all the tune up things for a well tune up (spark plugs air/fuel filters new antifreeze and a flush kit for the cooling system and some other things) i bought the car with a blown head gasket because broken cars are cheaper lol, drove it home about 35 miles down the highway and the temp gauge didnt even hit the half way mark, the car had not shown any signs of a blown head other then leaking and smoking antifreeze but it has since been parked i have a friend that can do a pressure check to make sure its the fount head. and as nice as it would be to put a 3.0 in.... thats not cheap!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts