New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here. Just picked up a clean 99 with the 2.0 for $100 and it runs and drives great with 150k (the guy thought it didn't run). It's already had the timing belt work done and the clutch replace about 10k ago. The only issue is, it needs a battery. Seems like the 40R and the 96R are the only ones that "fit" the car. I am just wondering if any other size will fit, since all of the correct batteries are more than what I bought the car for! I have the battery out of my Grasshopper mower in it right now and it works fine, but I just know in cold weather it might be an issue. Wal-Mart has some value line batteries for right around $50, which I have used before and never had any issues, but they are limited on sizes. Any thoughts?

I do find it interesting that a lot of sites like O'Reillys and Autozone show the Group 35 as an alternate, but that battery is 9" tall and there's no way it will fit.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
It seems like the going rate for most name brand batteries is between $165 and $225 right now. I know it sucks to fork over that much money for a battery, but its kind of just what it is.
The good news is that you dont have to worry about your battery for several years afterwards

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
I have always used a 26R. WAY smaller that that giant OEM size battery.

The Wal-Mart batteries are CHEAP but they are only 1-year warranty and that's just about how long they last.

Reactions: fish2222

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 20L currently as the battery that's been in the car since I drove it home wouldn't take a full charge anymore. Now it's lithium, ~700cca, only 4.5lbs, and way more expensive than most sane people would spend on a battery...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. The 26r battery is almost an inch higher. Will it clear the hood OK? It's always hard to get clearance measurements under the hood. LOL

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Zero hood clearance issues for me. I'm surprised that it's actually taller; it looks like a dwarf next to the behemoth original battery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zero hood clearance issues for me. I'm surprised that it's actually taller; it looks like a dwarf next to the behemoth original battery.
Awesome. I thought WalMart had a value line of those so I might give it a try. I have one in my truck and Grand Am and they both are close to 4 years old with no issues. Course the $24 Lawn and Garden battery seems to work just fine. Though I guess if the A/C is on max with the blower at full it could be drawing more than the alternator likes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 20L currently as the battery that's been in the car since I drove it home wouldn't take a full charge anymore. Now it's lithium, ~700cca, only 4.5lbs, and way more expensive than most sane people would spend on a battery...
I can't seem to find a 20L.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Napa has a sale with 20% off this week so I am going to try out one of their 26r batteries. $80 isn't too bad, so I guess I will go that route! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have always used a 26R. WAY smaller that that giant OEM size battery.

The Wal-Mart batteries are CHEAP but they are only 1-year warranty and that's just about how long they last.
Got a 26r for $65 today at Napa with a 3 year warranty and it fits perfect. Thanks for the tip!

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
Nice; I'm all about keeping weight off the front wheels, and this is a good step.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts