New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well i blew the transmission in my 1999 Mercury cougar and i am now thinking of replacing it with a 1998.5 CSVT transmision. I called my local dealer who i think is going to be doing the install, and of course, they had no idea weather it would work or not. I have heard it will fit right in no problems, buti want to make sure of this.

So my questions are
1. If i take this to a dealer will they even no its out of a contour.
2. if i do this, is it an exact replacement.
3. If its not an exact replacement whats different about it.

Thank you for your help
Justin

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
It should be an exact replacement. Have you got the trans in your posesion yet? THe only difference between Contour trans' was with earlier ones that had a rod stule shift linkage, but I am pretty sure they did away with that in '97. If yours has a shift tower on the top of the trans, then they will never know it's the same part number. But as I stated in the other thread there MAY be a difference in the vehicle speed sensor, that's it. So basically as long as you are going from a V6(98 or newer) to a V6 you are fine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont have it in my hands yet i am going to be getting the csvt trans that topik is selling. He has pics in his thread if that could help me tell if its what i need or not. itson page 2 of the for sale section for some reason i cant copy the link right now.

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
Oh, well then yeah you are all set.. that is the trans you need and he is a trustworty person. You can trust that what he is selling you will be exactly what you need. Nothing to worry about. Good luck getting it back on the road

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
there are 4 types of mtx tranmissions on the contour/mystique side of the family. It is split two and two, two for the zetec and two for the duratec.

The zetec and duratec mtx's have different bell housing and are not interchangable.

the next split is the same for both the zetec and the duratec, pre and post 98. the pre98's use rod shifters and the post 98's use the cable shifter like the cougar.

the two things you need to watch for are the shift tower, has to match your cable ends, only 2k contour/mystiques have the focus tower. the other is the vss as I understand is different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts