New Cougar Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
My understanding with the Northstar is that while it does have some design weaknesses, the biggest concern is weak head bolts. Those headbolts are easily replaced with an upgraded bolt and the problem is permanently eliminated. Once that's done, they have the potential to be a really powerful drivetrain. As far as why they would be used in a swap instead of an LS4 is because they have the only FWD transaxle that's actually built to handle that amount of power.
Then theres the "dime a dozen" factor...you can find old rusty Caddy's on pretty much every corner.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,778 Posts
Or an InTech out of a Lincoln?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I can definitely see some very strong ressemblance to the probe's greenhouse, styling and shape in Ricardo's picture of the red cars.

Besides - small displacement V6, 5 speed, front wheel drive, two door, sporty but inexpensive. That describes both cars. Sounds like they were aiming for the same market.

The EV-but-someone-liked-it story makes sense, then. But what's the cougar's connection to the Ford Puma? Google says they were 98-02 for the first generation.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hello, at the beginning of everything, normal people could not have a sports car like the ones seen in the movies, jaguar, aston martin, alfa romeo, ...
You were lucky to have muscular cars, true temples of the motor, but not exactly dynamic cars or sporty cars.

But "Miami Vice" Don Johnson and his Ferrari arrived, and we all wanted to have beautiful sports cars ...
Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

All brands first made ugly but sporty cars like the Golf GTI, but they went on to make the VW Corrado and cars like the Ford probe, toyota Celica-Supra, Mitsubishi 300gt, Nisan 300zx, Alfa Romeo Sprint and many more ...
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

It was the golden age of the coupe, whoever had money bought a porch or a ferrary or a lambo or ... like now.
But whoever was normal bought a cheap coupe,

The great sales in this segment led many brands to release versions of the B segment in coupes such as the opel Tigra, mazda MX-3 (a nice V6) and the Ford Puma that sold a lot for being very cheap.
Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle Wheel

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle

Yesterday I parked behind a Ford Puma and although I like it I could see that the wheels look very small ...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Looking for the photos of the Pobe I have seen the concept and the truth that it looks more like the EV1
Wheel Vehicle Hood Tire Car
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

And I did not know the Ford Via Concept 1989a car that looks like a car of today, I like it.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Car Steering part Vehicle Light Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

the cannonball run
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Dress Sleeve Gesture Waist Fashion design
Face Smile Lip Mouth Gesture

When female pilots were a cliché.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
...But what's the cougar's connection to the Ford Puma? Google says they were 98-02 for the first generation.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Not much connection. Similar styling, feline names, and 4x108 lugs is about it. They didn't even use the 2.0l or the MTX-75.
They like to advertise the Puma was the first car (maybe first in Europe?) designed entirely on computers. Its not clear to me which design came first but they clearly collaborated on certain design cues.
Only two more years left on the 25 year US import rule...I would love to bring one of those over here to show next to my Cougars some day. My wife wouldn't understand though. I doubt it will ever happen.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts