New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride my bike past this all the time, and I was always wracking my brain trying to figure out what it was. I kept thinking "Laser", but I also knew that wasn't right.

Finally got around to getting a picture this week and searching for it.

I haven't seen it ever move or change. :( Poor car. Sitting on grass so it's probably rusting underneath. Did these still have plastic fenders?

No real point to this thread, just thought it was interesting.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts
Yeah pretty sure those were all fiberglass/plastic panels. There is a local guy who has one with a Grand Prix GTP supercharged 3800 swap in it that runs VERY quick quarter-miles.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
I have an uncle who loved them. He still has a couple of them in various states of disrepair hanging around the yard.
I sent him a photo of the New Corvette next to one of those fastback's labeled "2021 Fiero" and he didn't seem amused.

·
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah pretty sure those were all fiberglass/plastic panels. There is a local guy who has one with a Grand Prix GTP supercharged 3800 swap in it that runs VERY quick quarter-miles.
I had a Grand Prix GTP with the supercharged 3800 as a rental one time. That thing was fun as hell to drive...I felt like I was cheating on the Cougar and the Impala.

My stats prof (whose expertise was in quality assurance) in college had a Fiero (don’t know what year)...he loved picking on GM’s quality. It was always good for a laugh.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
most of these never move lol

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
One of my teachers was on the program team for the Fiero, says it was the greatest example ever of designed to death by committee. Competing interests in making it a sports car, an economy car, a compact car, and a luxury car all had their say in it and in the end we wound up with a car with the power of an economy car, the reliability of a sports car, the utility of a compact car, and the luxury of an economy car.

Interestingly enough, I haven't had a chance to bring it up, but one of my co-workers was on the early design team on the project that resulted in the Cougar. Apparently it was originally intended to be Ford's EV-1, a lead acid electric vehicle, but eventually somebody high up enough like the styling enough that they canned the EV idea, threw the Mondeo platform under it, and we wound up with our heaps.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
I guess that makes sense if you assume we have some sort of evolutionary tie to the Probe...the EV1 prototype could be the missing link between us.

·
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That Ford Ghia Vivace Concept is interesting - the side windows totally remind me of the Cougar. The rear windows (and shape, to some extent) remind me of the "bubble" Tauruses of the 90s.

The windshield reminds me of something from the movie Cars.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts
Headlights and front bumper are very Bubble Taurus to me.

Wasn’t the EV-1 a GM product? I always thought those were the predecessor to the 1991 Saturn.

·
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wasn’t the EV-1 a GM product? I always thought those were the predecessor to the 1991 Saturn.
It was a GM product. But the EV-1 was 1996-1999, and Saturn (as a brand) was registered in 1985, according to Wikipedia.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts
Interesting; I had my timeline all backwards. It definitely shares a lot of first-gen Saturn DNA, regardless. From the blacked-out pillars to the character line on the side, to the headlight position.

Saturn even offered a wheel design later on that was very similar to the EV-1's:

1620908161756.png

·
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah. It looks like Saturn was actually the dealer for the EV-1, too.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts
ANYWAYS back on topic - kind of - there used to be a swapped Fiero in my neighborhood, although I haven't seen it in a while so it might be gone. But I'm pretty sure it had a Cadillac Northstar V8 swap. Which is nuts.

EDIT: I Googled "Northstar Fiero" and it is definitely a thing.

Reactions: skater

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes make the fiero even less reliable, with the worst fuel injection v8 ever produced.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts

·
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: still sitting there.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I brought up the EV1 because the project was intended to be Ford's answer to GM's EV1.

And ahhhh, good ole northstar. "HEy Jim! Let's take our starters, which are known to be heat sensitive but weather proof, and get it out of the weather by sandwiching it in the valley between the heads! We'll save money on weather proofing it AND we'll be able to package it in FWD cars more easily!"

"Johnson, that's BRILLIANT! You're getting a bonus this year. For. Sure!"

·
Registered
203 Posts
1982 GM Aero 2000
This is another, I have always liked aerodynamic cars that thanks to the new electrics are coming back to life.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts